What's the word on Warpaint Antifoiling

Hi I am pulling out on Monday next, for a bottom scrape.

I have previously used Alex No10 ( light grey colour)

I want to go back to a softer ablative antifouling and have use Altex No5 before.

However I would like stay with the light grey colour but Altex No5 only comes in Red, Black or Blue.

The boat is on the marina at Gulf Harbour.

So I would like some feedback on Warpaint light grey colour please.

Strath

My understanding that War is older technology but still has a loyal following. Another choice is international micron xtra 2 in dover white, has been known to out perform more expensive product up here in the north, but it is very soft.

There is not really any " older technology" as such. But it is a " price point" AF. Some get good results and others not so good. And that is the same for every AF on the market. The hard part is getting one that works best for your area. Water quality, temperature, current etc etc all play a part in how well they all work. 

Use it and like it. Don't expect it to work well after about 12 months it's been on one of the boats for over 2 years and has pretty much stopped working, but could probably be revived with a sand. It is very.nice to use and seems a lot less toxic than the international stuff.

Depends who is doing the job a lot. But yes generally spraying is a better finish. I have seen shocking examples of both. Got it sprayed last time and needed twice as much paint. When you.add in the cost of the application rolling is better for non race boats in my humble opinion. You can always give it a quick wet and dry if you want a super smooth finish.

You get what you pay for with a/f. Micron 66 is more expensive up front but a lot cheaper overall because it lasts much longer than,say, Warpaint which we've used in the past. But get it sprayed. Much better finish than roller / brush !

I have heard from one of the painters that they have changed the brew for Micron 66 and it is not as good as it used to be :angry:

• Upvote 1

The label on warpaint says as long as it’s there it’s still working, I have stretched mine to 4 years with some scrubbing, seems the previous owner put on about 7 coats so I am going to try the same again with warpaint plus some nautical ablative on top. Will put on maybe 12 litres for a 38 ft cat .

I often looked at "war paint" but could never find a user ,Tried "Hempels" in Tamaki river but found to soft,went to "Altex 10" but no longer available. So thought about it and tried the "Altex coastal cruising" and found for an inexpensive paint it was working,applied in labour weekend 2017 and beginning of January looked new ,when yacht came out of water January there was only very slight slime,not bad for river,so guessing might of got 6 months before needing a clean but will never know now.

Re-coated ours today, had been on about 28 months not barnacles but the slime and a bit of weed was starting to cling on a a lot quicker, put on light grey then mid grey so we know when its starting to wear, Warpaint is currently $180 for 4 litres.

Close up of substrate after 28 months

IMG_20180414_125015.jpg

Finished.

IMG_20180414_173753.jpg

Would micron 66 go over sanded Copper epoxy? West with Current powder spheres.

Probably a question for IP.

I applied Micron 66 over Coppercoat with great results, good finish and it seemed to stay active for far longer than any subsequent recoats on our R930