This Weekend's Achievements

I managed a new personal best on my windsurfer - 16.3 kts Sustained bursts above 14 kts. Board just chattering across the water. The weather on Saturday helped... Flat water and plenty of puffy stuff. Getting the hang of hanging off the back and just boosting it :-)

• Upvote 2
On 17/04/2021 at 10:05 PM, lateral said:

The beehive. Definitely a rock, not an island, will not sustain life. In fact will take yours if you’re not careful. It owes me some skin off my face.

Ditto the Nun, who only cares for seabirds.

The whole area will spank you if taken for granted.

And full of katipo spiders,but its ok only the female bite.

First step of the new rudder done .... aircraft wing style of construction .

carbon foam sandwhich panel laid up in the garage then sent to the CNC dude .

next step is to wrap it in some funky sh*t then tip in some 2 part expanding foam .

The foam will be sanded back to the ribs and then then it will get skinned carbon .

design and construction is being done by my mate Scott who is handy with a computer and carbon . Check his Ross 490 rebuild here on creworg and in boating Nz

The rudder will be hanging off a second generation E780 that we are bringing into this century ....next project will be a prod ...possibly a hybrid fixed job with a retractable prod inside it that stays outboard so cabin doesn’t have a bit of carbon right through it 

CA9EE9DA-21DD-4782-9919-4BF4396CECCF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Set up new code zero. Not quite on its marks in this photo. At full hoist it's 300mm further inboard but looking great. Should plug the light wind tight reaching gap we have. Thanks Willis Sails. 

73DABEAF-19DD-4016-A2B6-6FB318B87B6E.jpeg

41429E7C-0700-4C3F-89D2-C36B7CFD0BE5.jpeg

3AB55681-B360-438F-A3F6-F3806E157CB3.jpeg

3A646BDA-06D1-44AF-80A2-F0B9FAD56617.jpeg

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, 44forty said:

First step of the new rudder done .... aircraft wing style of construction .

carbon foam sandwhich panel laid up in the garage then sent to the CNC dude .

next step is to wrap it in some funky sh*t then tip in some 2 part expanding foam .

The foam will be sanded back to the ribs and then then it will get skinned carbon .

design and construction is being done by my mate Scott who is handy with a computer and carbon . Check his Ross 490 rebuild here on creworg and in boating Nz

The rudder will be hanging off a second generation E780 that we are bringing into this century ....next project will be a prod ...possibly a hybrid fixed job with a retractable prod inside it that stays outboard so cabin doesn’t have a bit of carbon right through it 

CA9EE9DA-21DD-4782-9919-4BF4396CECCF.jpeg

How does the top work? How much balance forward?

10 hours ago, Deep Purple said:

How does the top work? How much balance forward?

The top is where it gets interesting . It’s going to have an 18ft skiff style box where it slots in from aft rather than a drop-in style box . Rudder will have a socket on top to plug a carbon tube tiller into , we have that system on the Shaw and love it . The idea is to be able to take rudder and tiller off at anchor or at the dock to free up cockpit space and prevent any expensive accidents after a few beersies .

I couldn’t tell you the percentage of balance forward ...the pic shows the current rudder in blue , the Shaw 750 rudder in yellow and the new rudder in red which is way more forward balanced than the old Rutter . Weight wise there should be a massive difference the current rudder would be at least 15+ kgs and the box is about the same so it’s like having an extra outboard on the transom ! 

69823E99-CB2B-4E13-8C39-FBC67DFAE6B6.jpeg

10 hours ago, Deep Purple said:

Set up new code zero. Not quite on its marks in this photo. At full hoist it's 300mm further inboard but looking great. Should plug the light wind tight reaching gap we have. Thanks Willis Sails. 

73DABEAF-19DD-4016-A2B6-6FB318B87B6E.jpeg

41429E7C-0700-4C3F-89D2-C36B7CFD0BE5.jpeg

3AB55681-B360-438F-A3F6-F3806E157CB3.jpeg

3A646BDA-06D1-44AF-80A2-F0B9FAD56617.jpeg

Looks like a beast , see how you go with it , we have tweakers for ours cause it really twists off as soon as you crack the sheets a bit . You should be able to match the wind speed up to about 6-7 knots and then start ripping stuff off the deck above that ! 

• Haha 1
On 25/04/2021 at 8:22 AM, 44forty said:

The top is where it gets interesting . It’s going to have an 18ft skiff style box where it slots in from aft rather than a drop-in style box . Rudder will have a socket on top to plug a carbon tube tiller into , we have that system on the Shaw and love it . The idea is to be able to take rudder and tiller off at anchor or at the dock to free up cockpit space and prevent any expensive accidents after a few beersies .

I couldn’t tell you the percentage of balance forward ...the pic shows the current rudder in blue , the Shaw 750 rudder in yellow and the new rudder in red which is way more forward balanced than the old Rutter . Weight wise there should be a massive difference the current rudder would be at least 15+ kgs and the box is about the same so it’s like having an extra outboard on the transom ! 

69823E99-CB2B-4E13-8C39-FBC67DFAE6B6.jpeg

Our rudder. No balance at all, neutral helm all the time. Never lets go. It's a work of art.

D016DFF4-1E1A-4826-9C62-ACCF1A5F0758.jpeg

59 minutes ago, Deep Purple said:

Our rudder. No balance at all, neutral helm all the time. Never lets go. It's a work of art.

D016DFF4-1E1A-4826-9C62-ACCF1A5F0758.jpeg

That looks more like a carving knife than a rudder. You could get it out at Christmas to carve the ham...

• Upvote 1
39 minutes ago, funlovincriminal said:

Early days yet but so far nothing I've found has freaked me out 😅

20210509_144911.jpg

20210509_144855.jpg

20210503_122530.jpg

Farr 1020?

2 hours ago, Kick Ass said:

Looking good Nigel, no extra pairs of hands today?

Nah for some reason yesterday's keen helpers were otherwise occupied today!

I've named the area around the sail drive 'Brendan's Rectangle '

Kind of like the Bermuda triangle but instead of aircraft and ships dissapearing, more yacht keeps appearing 

• Haha 1