This Weekend's Achievements

YUP, Thanks for all the advice, the trailer sailer seems the best fit for adventure projects as it is easy to tow between harbors and certainly more core effective without all the red tape that comes with a keelboat. 20ft Pelin Caribou 15hp Hidea Yamaha clone outboard with long shaft high thrust prop Aircat 335 inflatable with Suzuki 8hp and I just purchased a 1.8m PVC tender with oars.

image.thumb.png.34be813b507db2184b8ca8c6a7bb9253.png

6bce4be7c087dea7810c70dace55a19.jpg

f25f2a2d0bac7093b2f0612855702ae.jpg

e9ba505ab21011ebb478abdea307d6f.jpg

• Upvote 3

Removed rudder and replaced the copper sheeting that protects the dead wood from bugs n stuff where antifouling cannot reach...

Then a little more sanding, priming, sanding, filling...... more sanding, undercoating, sanding, top coating × 2, boot topping and antifouling....and splash.

20230629_095704.jpg

20230629_162958.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 28/06/2023 at 11:12 AM, Enlightenment said:

YUP, Thanks for all the advice, the trailer sailer seems the best fit for adventure projects as it is easy to tow between harbors and certainly more core effective without all the red tape that comes with a keelboat. 20ft Pelin Caribou 15hp Hidea Yamaha clone outboard with long shaft high thrust prop Aircat 335 inflatable with Suzuki 8hp and I just purchased a 1.8m PVC tender with oars.

image.thumb.png.34be813b507db2184b8ca8c6a7bb9253.png

6bce4be7c087dea7810c70dace55a19.jpg

f25f2a2d0bac7093b2f0612855702ae.jpg

e9ba505ab21011ebb478abdea307d6f.jpg

I suggest that you consider getting tube covers for the PVC tender if you wish it to last., PVC fails very quickly in NZ summers unlike Hypalon which can cope a lot better without a cover. I had one with PVC tubes and within 2 years it was stuffed, replaced with Hypalon and it is still OK and unaffected by UV after 12 years.

4 minutes ago, Steve Pope said:

I suggest that you consider getting tube covers for the PVC tender if you wish it to last., PVC fails very quickly in NZ summers unlike Hypalon which can cope a lot better without a cover. I had one with PVC tubes and within 2 years it was stuffed, replaced with Hypalon and it is still OK and unaffected by UV after 12 years.

Cheap crap PVC doesn’t last. Some of the best PVC’s are pretty good. Hypalon (brand name) is no longer made, current high end inflatables use TPU. But I had a PVC one that did 13 years. Next one (budget) did 3. Now I have a TPU one…

My cheap PVC dink is lasting very well. But it is stored out of the sun and weather (in a dinghy locker). I think its 3 to 5 yrs old. What I can say is, based on talking to the supplier at the boat show, the replacement price has doubled. So based on the current rate of inflation, how old does that make it? 6 months?

If left in the sun, these ones go to sh*t very quickly.

Also, sunblock softens the plastiziers in the PVC. If you lather the sproglets in sunblock and then all jump in the dink to go to the beach, it gets all over the tubes. There are 3 solutions, wash the dinghy down with soap and water, put towels or covers over the tubes where the sproglets are lying, or just don't have sproglets. Something to bear in mind for longer service life of your dink.

26 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

and some contact cement and covering the top half. 

Are you talking about a ferro dinghy here?

Might have some merits for a dinghy permanently in the water.

Just the same crap vinyl the dinghy is made of. The problem is a glue that works. But consider it disposable and a spray can of contact glue might last a year, then do it again. I can get lots of pretty coloured offcuts nearly free.

I've just binned the remnants of my old SP Inflatable and will not be going back to blow up anythings. Its the real deal for this boy from now on.

Plywood dinghy, GF (with luck her indoors wont find out 😉), full cream milk. actual coffee, sugar if i feel like it, full bodied red wines, blue vein cheese, steak n kidney pies - all the good sh*t.

If i were doing what u suggest BP - I'd get a catalysed contact,suitable for plastised vinyl, the same vinyl as the tubes. 

Do it outside & have loads of carbon activated masks at your side. In my experience catalyst is iso cynate based - its nasty stuff.

Or just get a polyethylene dinghy (smartwave or sim) and use it for day to day. The weigh about a ton but seem indestructible

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Romany said:

full cream milk. actual coffee, sugar if i feel like it, full bodied red wines, blue vein cheese, steak n kidney pies - all the good sh*t.

now you're talking,still some die hards left .thank goodness,thought I was on my own🙃

Because I will be moving with the trailer a sailer from harbor to harbor regularly to do filming of adventure and fishing missions and also doing a lot of land-based documentaries and interviews about places like campgrounds etc. and with people of interest I will not be full-time sailing and boating for the whole summer. My main concern with the two boats the 2 m and the 3.35 m inflatable's, both will have to be inflated and deflated regularly. I don't have as much experience with inflatable boats as you guys so could you please give me the heads up about whether or these boats can be inflated and deflated regularly or does that damage them and shorten their serviceability.

In the end these  cheap boats only last as long as they last, and not much can be done, but hope I can get some tips that might help to extend their usability.
Thanks again

places of interest for missions in North of NZ

You all would be the best possible source of advice for the best locations of interest.

When I do short documentaries I will not divulge the locations or personal info, I just shoot images to support my stories because I don't want to popularize the special places.

image.thumb.png.ccbbed8ecb07d2382a2f059e39758290.pngimage.thumb.png.f9b269d397f4292b963b3aef568b70f4.pngimage.thumb.png.02e7d07fd3e08b2f4815ed082ba308b5.png

10 hours ago, Enlightenment said:

Because I will be moving with the trailer a sailer from harbor to harbor regularly to do filming of adventure and fishing missions and also doing a lot of land-based documentaries and interviews about places like campgrounds etc. and with people of interest I will not be full-time sailing and boating for the whole summer. My main concern with the two boats the 2 m and the 3.35 m inflatable's, both will have to be inflated and deflated regularly. I don't have as much experience with inflatable boats as you guys so could you please give me the heads up about whether or these boats can be inflated and deflated regularly or does that damage them and shorten their serviceability.

In the end these  cheap boats only last as long as they last, and not much can be done, but hope I can get some tips that might help to extend their usability.
Thanks again

You all would be the best possible source of advice for the best locations of interest.

When I do short documentaries I will not divulge the locations or personal info, I just shoot images to support my stories because I don't want to popularize the special places.

image.thumb.png.ccbbed8ecb07d2382a2f059e39758290.pngimage.thumb.png.f9b269d397f4292b963b3aef568b70f4.pngimage.thumb.png.02e7d07fd3e08b2f4815ed082ba308b5.png

Deflating and inflating regularly wont hurt them at all. Things that might puncture or rip the PVC will, which is possibly a greater risk on how you roll them up, where you store them and what you inflate them on (i.e. gravel, instead of grass).

Overall, deflating them and storing them so that they are out of the sun will be far far better than leaving them inflated in the sun.

Good practice to have a brush / broom handy when you roll them up, so you can get off any grit, sand or stones that might rub / chaff the pvc when it is rolled up and squashed into a storage spot somewhere.

You might get sick of the physical effort of pumping them up regularly. You can get 12v electric pumps designed for paddleboards, about $2-$300 I think. These are excellent in that you can get a good high pressure to keep them stiff. I have an air-floor in my inflatable (same as a paddle board basically). The electric pump can get it to 12 bar (good and stiff), where as a regular dinghy foot pump is probably about 2 bar. Noting you wont want to take your dinghy tubes past 3 bar (maybe less depending on the manufacturer).

As a note for anyone getting an inflatable paddleboard, pumping them up by hand is an absolute ball-ache. The electric pump is really the only way to get the pressure into them to make them stiff, so that they perform as designed.

• Upvote 1

Thanks again

image.thumb.png.f9b269d397f4292b963b3aef568b70f4.pngThanks for the good advice! that gives me a lot of confidence about inflatables

On 27/06/2023 at 6:36 PM, Black Panther said:

We paid for soda blasting.  Half a day and cheaper than a week of fees at GH.

I am just aboyt  finishing the 18 month haul out touch up and antifoul, I suspect I am about 2 years away from the same full bottom paint removal task, but being timber I will use a heat gun and paint scraper... it will be interesting to see how that will compare time and effort wise, when to soda blasting tungsten scraping, paint stripper or other...

I discovered standing on the western shore of the Atlantic looking east you get much the same view as standing on the eastern shore looking west 

This time the passage took 9hrs which is significantly less than 20 something days last time.  But given the state of modern air travel I'd take a Catana 431 over an Airbus any day.