Browns Island Burning

Er its quite a swim and you would go to Karaka Bay not Musick point , how she got there is the question? And at this time of year there are kayaks there most evenings

Personally I would head towards Musick Point on an incoming tide.  That would probably land you somehwere on Bucklands Beach with more floating than swimming.  The biggest issue would be dodging the ferries and other traffic.  I'm surprised she couldn't raise any attention from the Tuesday night BBYC yacht racing or the passing ferries.  She would have only had to walk out to the end of the reef on the Western side and wave her arms about.

a wif of crazy - they've picked her up but she can't tell them reliably how she got there?

sos on the beach for the frequent flights overhead?

a driftwood fire at low tide below the high tide mark?

The real problem is over 1,000,000 jafa's and not one could read smoke signals

We did, she lit a fire and we sent a platoon of fire firefighters and a squadron of helicopters with numerous men in other uniforms to assist. Surely she's got to be happy with that!

• Upvote 1

The real problem is over 1,000,000 jafa's and not one could read smoke signals

I guess it is nice to live in a developed part of the country where there such modern amenities like cell phone coverage and all.

Use it or loose it, dang, can't read smoke signals any more. No idea how to play banjo either

I guess it is nice to live in a developed part of the country where there such modern amenities like cell phone coverage and all.

Use it or loose it, dang, can't read smoke signals any more. No idea how to play banjo either

You probably don't have enough fingers to play a Banjo like a pro....

I suppose we will have a facepalm moment as well, being that certain authorities will complain and ask for compensation for fighting the fire. What was she to do, she kept lighting fires and no one came, so lit a real fire. And how did she light the fire in the first place? I think she maybe smarter than suggested.

some questions answered

inside the DoC shed that she also found candles and a match or lighter to ignite them.

but more raised

a dinghy was found floating in the water and that the woman had left a hospital in the early hours of Monday morning.(before arriving at the island a few hours later...)

the Pine Harbour ferry and Waiheke car ferry both passed inside 200m from the island meaning it was highly likely she would be seen "if she's standing there waving at the boat skipper every time he goes past".

"Where she lit the fire, no boat can come in. It was probably the worst place to light the fire. What I would do is exactly what she didn't do."

Mead said the reports of dehydration also had him puzzled because the island had two large freshwater ponds.

certainly some very very strange choices made

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11742911