Another ridiculous lifejacket article

"dickheads will still drown" has to be the nadir of the opposition to safety on the water here. We're talking about human beings who may not be as fully aware of the risks as we'd like them to be. That's no reason to condemn them to death. Disgusting.

Kevin, please give us a detailed view of what you think the life jacket laws should be. 

So the idiot rule makers have just said that from 1st Jan, all pools, including blow up paddling pools that can be filled to a depth of 400mm or more will have to be fenced.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/87849371/clarity-needed-on-pool-rules-that-take-effect-on-january-1

omg what about a bucket full of water? Or a depression in your lawn that fills up when it rains? 

So the idiot rule makers have just said that from 1st Jan, all pools, including blow up paddling pools that can be filled to a depth of 400mm or more will have to be fenced.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/87849371/clarity-needed-on-pool-rules-that-take-effect-on-january-1

So the 99.99% who are sensible with pools like this now face either a big expense, a fine or deny their kids the simple pleasure of cooling down in the summer.

Responsible parents supervise their kids around water, whether it be the ocean, river, lake, duck pond or f**king paddling pool so shouldn't be punished for the minorities inability to use their brain.

I suspect most people won't pay any attention to these council twat heads so it won't make any difference other than increasing rates.

I can't believe so many people can't see how top heavy with beurocracy we are becoming.

"dickheads will still drown" has to be the nadir of the opposition to safety on the water here. We're talking about human beings who may not be as fully aware of the risks as we'd like them to be. That's no reason to condemn them to death. Disgusting.

So you want everyone no matter who they are, what experience they have, what capabilities they have or anything else to be treated exactly the same as the stupidest dumbarse alive. The 'lets make everyone as dumb as us' theory.

ISIS is better for a society than that crap.

Gezzz Granny, aren't wes lucky wes only got da cement pond Jethro plays in.

Kevin.. I agree that generally life is valuable and we should do what we can, within reason, to protect people from harm.

There is a point however, when rules and regulations encroach too much on normal sensible human freedoms in the attempt to save a handful of lives.

Why should the average chap with commonsense be restricted, penalised and punished at every turn by some cardigan, socks & sandal wearing, clipboard welding twathead in a mis-guided attempt to save the lives of a couple of dumb asses?

• Upvote 1

Wow Kevin, that's a bit of an OTT reply.  Step back and look at what is being discussed here.  Safety at sea is a process of making good decisions and updating those decisions in response to changes in your environment.  No one here is opposing safety on the water.   What we are discussing here is the proposed punitive enforcement of laws that are inconsistent region to region.  In other words the very bureaucrats that now seek to punitively enforce these laws could not agree on what the law should be!   So they want to gloss over that failure by going straight to a regime of financially harming those who don't meekly comply with whatever rules apply in each region.  

No one is condemning anyone to death.  This is a discussion about how you achieve safety.  It might be useful for you to remind yourself of how blanket fines work.  They are primarily a punishment for being poor.   I would say that if you find someone out in their boat and not wearing PFDs in a situation when wearing PFDs would materially increase safety then some education is in order.  Perhaps something like the old defensive driving course.  You on the other hand think that the best option is to financially harm the person.  A minor annoyance for the wealthy, and a damaging blow to the poor.  If the law that these fines are based on was well written, consistent with what we know about safety, and encouraged instead of discouraged thinking, then it might be OK.   But this is bad law, inconsistent with its objectives, and soon to be badly applied and enforced.  That is what is under discussion.

• Upvote 5

I was going to respond to Kevin's contention that by not having compulsory LJ laws dickheads were condemned to death. I would have thought that they were attempting suicide with their overloading and foul weather expeditions. But Shedmans response is far more circumspect so I will endorse that instead. For the record is Kevin for real or is he a wind up ?

Nothing new there. That has been the requirement of the Fencing of Swimming Pools Act 1987 since ...well 1987.

To the extent that the requirements to fence private pools have changed with the new legislation from 1 January 2017 overall the requirements have been marginally relaxed rather that increased.   

So the 99.99% who are sensible with pools like this now face either a big expense, a fine or deny their kids the simple pleasure of cooling down in the summer.

Responsible parents supervise their kids around water, whether it be the ocean, river, lake, duck pond or f**king paddling pool so shouldn't be punished for the minorities inability to use their brain.

I suspect most people won't pay any attention to these council twat heads so it won't make any difference other than increasing rates.

I can't believe so many people can't see how top heavy with beurocracy we are becoming.

While I agree that there is too much bureaucracy, and the 400mm thing is probably ridiculous for paddling pools and the like, pools and ponds are incredibly dangerous.  I know of one responsible family who were visiting a farm and let their kids run off and play, as you do, and when a little chap didn't come back with the others they eventually found him in a pond, where he was stuck in the mud trying to get out. Story ended well, but could have been different. So I immediately went an filled in the duck pond on our property to a level of 200mm, and put a solid base in. Scary thing water. 

While I agree that there is too much bureaucracy, and the 400mm thing is probably ridiculous for paddling pools and the like, pools and ponds are incredibly dangerous. I know of one responsible family who were visiting a farm and let their kids run off and play, as you do, and when a little chap didn't come back with the others they eventually found him in a pond, where he was stuck in the mud trying to get out. Story ended well, but could have been different. So I immediately went an filled in the duck pond on our property to a level of 200mm, and put a solid base in. Scary thing water.

I am truly sorry to hear that.. It would have scared the crap out of the parents. I agree, farms are an incredibly dangerous place for kids.

I have raised 4 kids on farms and have been very vigilant with safety. My youngest is 8 and I still won't let him go on the farm unsupervised.

Just to be clear Kevin, Im a big supporter of idiots drowning.

That post has to be right up there in the 'post of the year' stakes.

I might frame it.

Holy scribes Batperson, Shedmans a ripper as well. Very well said fella.

I can imagine that using a paddling pool to transit from boat to beach could cause a few regulatory issues...

I'm off to the warehouse to buy me a paddling pool for beach transits! This has to be done :-D 

• Upvote 1