Boating now heavily restricted

Marinetalk is the only part of this forum that I visit but even this is going down to toilet.

I wish the shouters would take their spats back to Smalltalk where they belong.

The virulent nature of C19 in every sense is all the more reason to preserve some sanity in a refuges like Marinetalk.

I wish it could be vaccinated from the Covid-infected rambling posters who should self-isolate in Smalltalk or shout at themselves in their bathroom mirror.

I can sympathize with Aleana, and I acknowledge my own postings in this thread, related to marine, going boating or not, but drifted fairly quickly over to C19 aspects.

What has worked really well on Sailing Anarchy is a Covid 19 topic section. It cleared all the C19 stuff out of every other section, which was really insidious, was spreading like a virus. A C19 topic section would cover the marine related virus stuff, and all the economic and political threads as well.

meanwhile 

who wants to shoot something?

"Clearly hunting, for fairly obvious reasons, has some high risks attached to it.

But if it can be done safely that's what we're now assessing, and that will be finished as we come into early next week."

The Government has been lobbied to allow hunting by the New Zealand Deerstalkers' Association, which in a statement said hunting was relatively "safe" when compared to the number of injuries caused by mountain biking, which would be permitted. 

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/121087930/coronavirus-ban-on-hunting-under-covid19-alert-level-3-an-error-being-reconsidered

clearly we sailors are choosing to give up our rights to sail

by simply moaning to each-other and not firing a call to our local mp

On 16/04/2020 at 9:03 PM, Knot Me... maybe said:

Hmmm..... According to ACC claims history cycling has already generated over 20,500 claims year to date, this 2019/20 year that is. Bikes come in at No4 of the recreational activity/sporting Top 20 list.

The Exercise the Govt has been pushing comes in at No2 with over 31,500 claims.

Jogging, another Govt encouraged activity is No7 with 9000 claims.

The closest thing to anything boat or marine related in the Top 20 would be Snowboarding which comes in at No20.  Snowboards look like wakeboards is the theory there.

There is the category 'Other' on the bottom that picks up all the rest, which I'm assuming is where sailing sits. The total for 'Other', 69K, is over 14,000 less than the total of top 3 activities combined. The top 3 being Rugby, Soccer and Fitness Training/Gym

YNZ is working on advice from Maritime NZ and CG. From my dealings with MNZ I have not a lot of faith in their boating skills, knowledge or abilities, if MNZ are to make the call when it's safe to go out again we are fucked. There is only 1 person I've dealt with in MNZ who I'd lend my dingy too, lending one to the rest would be the same as giving a 10yo a P pipe.

As we see cycling caused at least 20,500 ACC claims last year, which did include a lot of visits by rescue choppers. Doing fitness and gym, over 30,000. Just going for a jog caused over 9000 NZers into harm of some form. And those numbers are only the ones who got into the system, many will not have so the numbers are low.

CG NZ wide last year did 2899 rescues. The vast majority by a large nautical mile were not sail boats, they would be powered boats. So sailing is not a big feature in CG call outs. So if only a tiny 15% of cyclists needed assistance due to their crash then cyclists dragged more services out than ALL boating needed from CG.

Drownings off a sail boat. 2019 there was 1, 2018 there was 0.

Lets now add into the mix the form assistance takes. When someone faceplants down a hill off their bike it generally means someone will be in very close physical contact with the cyclist or the gym bunny or the runner, often quite a few more than one. The majority of CG call outs are boat failure related not human failure so the assistance given generally has no close physical contact and I'm sure bugger all would need to be tweaked to make close contact even less likely, something you can not do when putting on a splint or performing CPR.

Finding participation Stats by sport isn't easy unless you want only want ones just covering . . . . . which are everywhere. In all lists water based activities the participation numbers are right up there above cycling, gym and just behind gardening. They are a bit 'catch all' though and don't break what sort of water based they are.

But as it appears we are at the whim of MNZ can anyone recommend a good broker, we may trade in our yachts in on something obviously regarded as being far safer, like playing with a machine gun or chomping down a nice big box of steroids.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hard to argue about MNZ and coastguard.

Coastguard is mostly for off the beach launched or trailerable craft. Coastguards "statistics" are dubious at best - helping someone or answering a question over the phone is not a rescue. They actually tow in few vessels over about 30ft, and the vast majority of those are power vessels. They do help with medical events though. I object to their mentality of "we are the authority" They are not, and have no legal authority. An example of this is their add "when you need to be rescued" not IF. Many users of this site have considerably more martime experience than most of the coastguard crews or skippers.

Maritime NZ are the most disorganized organisation that I've ever dealt with. What you get told may or may not be accurate, depending on whom you speak with on what day. Everyone I know that has dealing with them says the same, but some wont admit it in public as it could effect their careers.

YNZ should be representing us, with an accurate reflection of the risks provided direct to Govt, as other sporting bodies are.

• Upvote 4

So what is sailing? 

What I think it is is probably different to what Mate thinks it is, which is different to knot me, to IT etc.

For some, sailing is 100 kids in dinghies accompanied by several dozen zodiacs. Or you could be talking about 'yachting' out of Westhaven, where you have a rugby team of crew all in very close personal space lined up on the rail or huffing and panting over a winch. Some people think yachting is wearing a blazer and gossiping over a bevvie at an 'established' yacht club bar.

It can also be sailing a boat possibly by yourself, or possibly with one or two people from your bubble.

So if you want to have an arguement about being able to go sailing, first define what it is you want to do. A 3 week cruise with your missus and you (long term bubble) is substantially different to sniffing the armpit of 14 others on the rail of a boat in a squadron race. Team sports of any sort are out, for very obvious reasons. I would argue solo sailing is the safest from a virus point of view, but solo sailing has a perception of being high risk, in terms of screw ups and needing outside assistance.

2 up cruising is low risk, I've no issue with that, but how do you communicate what is ok and what isn't? Given the speed the govt is trying to move at, and their issues with clear and unambiguous communication, how do you differentiate what type of sailing is permitted, without even getting confused trying to differentiate between boating (motorboating) and sailing...

Given what we are trying to acheive, I don't think not being able to go boating in May or June is going to be a big sacrifice.

The goal is to open up as much business as practical. Many of us need to get back to work. The goal is not to enable all types of recreation. That will follow.

• Upvote 1

Yes, forget sailing for a while, get back to earning some coin again, and enjoy your health. That will make the next sail/race/cruise/raft up, whenever that may be, feel AMAZING !

Oh, and what about Urban Cowboy for $99k ono. ?  Seems to be a good boat, at a fair price. I can't , however, see my wife falling in love with a Ross 40...

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, Elliot749 said:

Oh, and what about Urban Cowboy for $99k ono. ?  Seems to be a good boat, at a fair price. I can't , however, see my wife falling in love with a Ross 40...

Just a hole to throw money into, lots of money. Probably $20000 a year to keep running

I've just been to the oriface to unload a couple of shipments and was a little surprised to see the vast majority of places have people in them, I presume working. So based on the lock down enforcement ashore I'm pretty confident we can go for a sail without much of a worry.

I bet MNZ is behind most of the water based calls. I wonder if that is wise considering the organisation is known by many, far too many, both locally and internationally as Muppets NZ.

Muppets NZ must be right up there with S**tless NZ.  

So you can go for a windsurf (presuambly because its got that other "s" word in it) but you can't go for a sail. 

I'm tellin' ya - we got do a whip round and get that guy Cummings down here from England!

38 minutes ago, SkyeWater said:

Maintenance is fine with me. However, the marina here needs to be opened again to berth owners. Not holding my breath on that.

I'm sure masks will be just fine!

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, wheels said:

The PM made it very clear in her speech yesterday that any on water activity is still banned, anything done on/from the shore is ok.

PM say all sorts of s**t that then changes 24 hours later so unless it's formally published, like everything else she's ever said since getting into power I place no credibility on the words that come out of her mouth.

• Upvote 2