Jump to content

No more scallops from Mercury Island and Whitianga


Recommended Posts

New rules if I have interpreted right. 7 snapper 3 kings 5 kahawai 5gurnard?? as previous wa 7 snapper 3 kings 10 kahawai 10 gurnard 20 bag limit + allownce on species. Stops the plunder of pink maomao only 20 now instead of unliited.

 

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/consultations/review-of-recreational-daily-bag-limits-for-finfish/

 

For example, a fisher in the Auckland/Kermadec, Central or Challenger areas can take three kingfish and up to 17 other finfish to make up their daily limit of 20.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to be an obsessive plunderer of fish , especially kingfish . I would be happy with 1 kingfish , 1  snapper and 1 kahawai . Even then that would be far more than my family “needed” . If you “need” more take more people on the boat . Recreational fishing is a first world “want” for the vast majority of people in this country ….the cost of an average tinny would feed a residential street on bought salmon , tuna and scallops for a few  years . Average tinny round here would be 100k .

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a thread here on this forum maybe 06? 10? Called Scallop dredge wankers.

That was after witnessing appalling behaviour and waste at the mercs by you guessed it.... Scallop dredge wankers. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ex Machina said:

I used to be an obsessive plunderer of fish , especially kingfish . I would be happy with 1 kingfish , 1  snapper and 1 kahawai . Even then that would be far more than my family “needed” . If you “need” more take more people on the boat . Recreational fishing is a first world “want” for the vast majority of people in this country ….the cost of an average tinny would feed a residential street on bought salmon , tuna and scallops for a few  years . Average tinny round here would be 100k .

Its a bit of a wake up how much people spend on their trailer boat "rig" and by the time you add a 4x4 its most of the way to a decent keeler

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Psyche said:

Its a bit of a wake up how much people spend on their trailer boat "rig" and by the time you add a 4x4 its most of the way to a decent keeler

The top end rigs plus the tow vehicle would put you at the pointy end of the Auckland keeler fleet …not sure if it would pay for the team van as well though ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite right Machina I know of a few 'Tinnys' that cost TP52 money without the tow vehicle, mind you when they park them behind the dairy shed they dont have to organise crew or buy sails......

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, waikiore said:

Quite right Machina I know of a few 'Tinnys' that cost TP52 money without the tow vehicle, mind you when they park them behind the dairy shed they dont have to organise crew or buy sails......

Or to be fair, to pay marina costs, which is a biggie. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Always had aspirations to get into a D28 or similar. The move away from any DIY maintenance and compliance just makes the entire concept out of reach.. Looks like we'll stick to the tinny in the front yard. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Psyche said:

Here you go;

https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/300570795/seasick-is-the-quota-system-the-best-way-to-sustain-our-fisheries-for-future-generations

Do we need a fundamental rethink here, good questions about who "owns" the fishery. 

Yup a bit like who owns the sand “he who has access to supreme legal weight and the ability to take”.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...