YNZ Race Regulations Cat1-Cat5; Anomalies and concerns

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My concern is that your are replacing one set or arbitrary requirements with a new set of arbitrary requirements. And these ones are likely to have a number of unintended consequences (more so than th

Just a heads up, I won't be giving any direct answers to requests for change - I'm not a subject matter expert on some of this stuff. What I'll do is take your feedback, constructive criticism, sugges

Ignore the age,  anyone checking (with a brain) will just look at the expiry date.

Posted Images

I suspect the sail requirements are for new sails aren't they?

They always grandfathered in existing setups. for example the orange storm jibs.  Old storm jibs didnt need the colour, new ones did.  Mine has orange corners, new ones fully orange?

So if you have a 40% reef point, you dont need to go and move it for the new reg to 50%, but if you build a new sail this year, you better line up...

I don/t think I agree necessarily, as the head of a well reefed main should prob line up with some sort of mast support, mid panel prob not ideal.

5 minutes ago, Clipper said:

I suspect the sail requirements are for new sails aren't they?

I would suspect that they actually made a mistake, the OSR regs. are a pretty good guide to what will be I hope.

The rules on sails were due a change as they didn't make sense and were poorly written. (as were a lot of other rules)

Sounds like some sort of internal f*ck up going on.

On the 16th Sept Angus wrote to me "The 35% reef is in lieu of the try sail so if you have a try sail you don't need such a deep reef. No change to the rules scheduled. Cheers Angus".

The question I asked was specific to changes for mainsail requirements for Cat 3 in the next addition of the regs.

2 hours ago, Fish said:

Where are you guys getting this information? the YNZ website says the new regs wont be available to january 2021 (electronically, or in print)?

I saved a copy if you want it. I just spent hours over the weekend making a cat5,4,4+ checklist for our club and sent out so I'm pretty miffed if there are significant changes. I didn't put the 50% reef in as that would rule out most of the fleet and I was sure it would be amended

Thanks for the offer DP, but I'll wait until YNZ sort their sh*t out.

It was more my alarm that a rule was changed (the 50% reef) after I'd explicitly clarified that with the head inspector. If the new rules have been withdrawn from the website, I'd hope they are going to be re-amended before they are formally adopted in 9 days time...

31 minutes ago, BOIGuy said:

It's taken 2 years to get it this far

Apparently David Abercrombie has cancelled his Christmas Holiday and is going to personally sort our the safety regulations, so that there are no issues with people knowing the requirements for BoI Sailing Week...  ;-)