59 replies to this topic

#21 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:06 AM

Two questions on Weiti, Fish - is there not a long waiting list for piles?  And is not entrance a little hairy at times?

I can't comment on the wait list as I don't know, but the Club manager has been known to lurk around here, or can be contacted on 09 424 5905. I wouldn't have thought it was any longer than the wait list for a 14 m berth at Westhaven though....

On the entrance, no, not hairy at all. There is never any swell or breaking waves unless there is a full gale outside from the East, when you wouldn't want to be going out, or would have been back in for a long time. There is a bar that restricts deeper draft boats at low tide. We draw 1.8 m and the general rule is we can't cross 2 hrs each side of low tide (but it changes for neaps and springs, we have a tide program and can tell down to about 5 min if we have enough water to get over).

The channel is well marked with posts and lights on the key bits, the deepest line is between two lit channel markers so is straight forward even at night. The bar is nice and soft. I've got stuck on it playing silly buggers and its not a problem to just sit there and have a cup of tea (or another rum, which may or may not have been the cause of getting stuck in the first place).

Depending on the use of your boat, the bar and restrictions on crossing would be a hassle if you draw much more than about 2 m. I think Black Panther draws 2.5 m and happily lives up there, but he thinks racing is silly and just goes cruising, so can choose his tides without trying to make the start of a race.

#22 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:12 AM

I would add, in the interests of balance, that there is a rule that you need to keep your boat in a "seaworthy" condition, and the Club does keep an eye on this and has been known to contact boat owners about this.

We wouldn't want any old riffraff in the river you know  ;-)

#23 Zozza

Zozza

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:17 AM

I would add, in the interests of balance, that there is a rule that you need to keep your boat in a "seaworthy" condition, and the Club does keep an eye on this and has been known to contact boat owners about this.

We wouldn't want any old riffraff in the river you know  ;-)

Thanks Fish, I will investigate, because this Nazi behaviour from Westhaven has well and truly put me off.

No, not a riff raff boat, at then end of a two year refit, and boat is in primo condition.

#24 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:46 AM

I went into Westhaven a month or so back to run a weekend of racing. Got back to a ticket for being parked too long in a space you need a permit to park in, just like the permit that was on my windscreen at the time.

The first I knew of it was when a letter arrived saying as I have ignored everything the price had gone from 65 to 85 notes. On sussing, which took many attempts to get past an automated 'go to the disputes page' bullshit, by simply stating 'I want to speak to a person or get fucked I'll see you in court', it appears I must have missed the ticket and previous letters..... hmmmmmm.

Wilson parking arseholes

On sussing the time given I thought Hmmmmm.... ticket says 10:03 but the alarm shows me turning it off at 10:05. Even allowing for the 20 seconds to walk from car to alarm and a few minutes for being 'out of synch', someone did show huge enthusiasm to fill their quote or boost their commission cheque. 

Wilson parking arseholes.

The lack of parking is a shocker. The white spaces are often chocker block with club members, tradies and people functioning at the Squaddy. The yellow spaces are always more then 50% empty.

#25 Rawhide

Rawhide

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:48 AM

I think we are about to have the same arguement at Pine Harbour,  with the marina company building apratments parking is going to be at a premiuim especially on piers A-D where there will be no parking at all,  rumour has it that they will tow cars that park there and take the ferry to work.  We dont have stickers you need a card to get past the barrier arm, so good luck to them on the first cars they tow/ticket.  I get two parks with my berth and will use them as i see fit

Yosemite, Mr Kamikaze, Faster Coyote, A.W.O.L, Faster Coyote, and then Rawhide

#26 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:50 AM

I think we are about to have the same arguement at Pine Harbour,  with the marina company building apratments parking is going to be at a premiuim especially on piers A-D where there will be no parking at all,  rumour has it that they will tow cars that park there and take the ferry to work.  We dont have stickers you need a card to get past the barrier arm, so good luck to them on the first cars they tow/ticket.  I get two parks with my berth and will use them as i see fit

Same in Bayswater for the same reasons and from the same marina owner. Parking in Bayswater is now only really good for cars no bigger than Minis and bugger all of them.

#27 Zozza

Zozza

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:02 AM

I went into Westhaven a month or so back to run a weekend of racing. Got back to a ticket for being parked too long in a space you need a permit to park in, just like the permit that was on my windscreen at the time.

The first I knew of it was when a letter arrived saying as I have ignored everything the price had gone from 65 to 85 notes. On sussing, which took many attempts to get past an automated 'go to the disputes page' bullshit, by simply stating 'I want to speak to a person or get fucked I'll see you in court', it appears I must have missed the ticket and previous letters..... hmmmmmm.

Wilson parking arseholes

On sussing the time given I thought Hmmmmm.... ticket says 10:03 but the alarm shows me turning it off at 10:05. Even allowing for the 20 seconds to walk from car to alarm and a few minutes for being 'out of synch', someone did show huge enthusiasm to fill their quote or boost their commission cheque. 

Wilson parking arseholes.

The lack of parking is a shocker. The white spaces are often chocker block with club members, tradies and people functioning at the Squaddy. The yellow spaces are always more then 50% empty.

Not following: You had a Westhaven parking permit displayed Grant, and still got a ticket?

#28 Willow

Willow

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:04 AM

Funny last.time I rented a berth in westhaven was just before the RNI. We have a lot of work to do on the boat and a lot of gear to sort so I thought I would stop by the office and get a parking permit. I filled in a form and got handed a white permit not a yellow one like the previous time. Upon enquiring I got told that only lease holders get a yellow one. I commented that it was probably a waste of time and walked out. To my amazement the gentleman obviously stressed out followed me out into the carpark hurling abuse and told me not to come back. Was quite funny to watch. I told.him to intercourse and leave then carried on with my day. It does give a little insight to the workings of the marina and their attitude towards berth holders and renters. Pretty much a monopoly in their area and they behave like one. It must come from management down. Westhaven are not alone in this attitude.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

#29 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:14 AM

Not following: You had a Westhaven parking permit displayed Grant, and still got a ticket?

Yeap and going on the times I got the ticket for overstaying within a minute of arriving.

Maybe the times used on the signs are seconds not minutes :)

The ticketers are probably very nice people but one or 2 I've seen gave me the impression they weren't employed for their thought processing abilities. 

#30 Puff

Puff

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,544 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:00 AM

My ticket has been waived :-)

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users