• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 CarpeDiem

CarpeDiem

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:14 PM

Would like to do some single handed sailing but not sure how to hoist the main...

AP into the wind is a no brainer and I generally do that two handed.

Winch and clutch is on the cabin top.

Sail is to heavy to hand haul it from the cock pit through the clutch.
Winching it from the cock pit... while I am ok with that for shaking out a reef when it needs to be done .. It seems mighty exhausting for something I want to be a pleasant experience.
Electric winch is unbelievably expensive (I could buy a new main)

Which leaves pulling it up from the base of the mast...

Thought about hanging a drogue out the back to pull the slack line through the clutch whilst motoring at 5 knots..

Thought about adding a v jammer to the mast to hold the line in place between hauls, but hate the idea of drilling holes in the rig

Have already tried tying a knot after hoisting it at the mast but that took three of us to fix.

Tried a prussic that worked but was reslly fiddly.

I own a couple of jumars which I feel might be a goer, but I am likely to chew my halyard

Any other ideas? I feel I am missing something obvious

#2 Kick Ass

Kick Ass

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:04 PM

Do you have a 2:1 halyard?

#3 splat

splat

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:18 PM

Get drill to winch adapter bit and use drill?

#4 CarpeDiem

CarpeDiem

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:43 PM

Do you have a 2:1 halyard?

No. We have the halyard and the tylaska shackle but have been told the crane needs a modification.

#5 CarpeDiem

CarpeDiem

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:51 PM

Get drill to winch adapter bit and use drill?

I like this idea. Thanks.

#6 Dr Dave

Dr Dave

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationThe Hamptons

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:50 PM

You could also convert the halyard winch to electric 

Its a big help when short handed on big rigs

Cheers

Dave

Dr Dave

" I spent a lot of money on birds, booze and fast cars. The rest I just squandered "
George Best

#7 Clipper

Clipper

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 06 December 2019 - 04:58 AM

I often hoist my main at the mast, tie a slipknot when up and it stops against slot in the mast. Then go back to cockpit, pull tail through and winch knot out and last half m of halyard up. Thats on Gale Force, so pretty much the same size.

#8 Maté

Maté

Sailor

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 05:50 AM

My setup is external exit about 2.5m up the mast-turning block at mast step-along cabintop to clutch and winch. What I do is this, run the halyard around the winch and back 180 to the base of the mast. Pull the main up- hold with one hand and then pull the slack in the tail with the other. Only 180 around the winch, no wraps sometimes I put the tail over my shoulder. 

Get the boat head to wind to start with put plenty of slack in the controls, cunningham,vang outhaul and the sheet. I used to used the TP to hold it head to wind but now I just give myself plenty of searoom and let the boat do whatever it wants.

#9 Young Entertainer

Young Entertainer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 06:18 AM

last one i did i just went out, anchored, hoisted main and jib with the tail round the winch and then back to the cockpit and pushed the up button on the anchor,  seemed to work remarkably well,  and I stayed in the same place the whole time

Stryker, Yosemite, Mr Kamikaze, Faster Coyote, A.W.O.L, Faster Coyote, Rawhide and then Young Entertainer man that is a lot of boats

#10 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,828 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 06:38 AM

I have an extra cleat on the mast pull it up. One wrap on the cleat. Pull the slack out and put it on the winch leaving just enough slack to take it off the cleat. Then back to winch and tension.

A rope clutch would be a bit more efficient but not enough to stir me into action.

I do this for the jib and foresail. Main halyard winch is at the mast.
  Two figures sat side by side, staring at the Sea. One said to the other, “You know that one day we will die.” And the other friend replied, “But all of the other days WE WILL LIVE!”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users