Covid 19 and liveaboards

26 minutes ago, darkside said:

I heard a couple of launches turned up at Pakatoa and went ashore for a walk. They were asked to leave, private island etc. A bit of a barney and the police were called. Both launches were fined, not sure for what exactly.

Almost certainly they were fined for going for a walk outside their local area. If they live aboard their local area is their deck. If they live on land it’s their neighbourhood. And under the SOE the Police have the powers to do this (and more). I expect we’ll hear of more cases like this.

Dont panic guys.

You may not at any time walk on private property without permission. I find a fine difficult to believe. 

Currently,  yes, the police are taking photos, lat long, and details of cruisers who are out. You are allowed to go home, if you have one. You can go out, empty tanks etc. If you have to move due to weather, or are going home, you must do a TR. You can go ashore for the same reasons as someone in a house goes out - food, medical, exercise. 

Contrary to above, you may walk ashore, on public land, but must obey the same rules as everyone else - 2m gap, no dangerous sports etc. For the duration of the lockdown, your local area is where you are anchored. 

At Kawau,  the KBC is open Thursdays for fuel and water. Groceries are available, speak to Kawau Civil defense. They will arrange to get them from Walkworth supermarket,  delivery by water taxi.

This is from the police today.

Fair comment but , if all recreational boating was allowed imagine the shitstorm out there right now . I think the government is trying to make all recreational activities unattractive to rule breakers to keep the mob under control . And it seems to be working , I can see from cape Rodney to poor knights from my living room and there has only been one yacht I’ve noticed in the last 3 days . Bream bay is dead , gamefishing is dead , coastal fizz boating is dead . 

if I saw 20-30 boats out there daily and no repercussions I would be tempted to bust my fence ornament butterfly as it’s been called , out of the club and go sailing with Wal , as would every other bugger I know round here . Sure I’ve never needed the coastguard but at the ramp in paruadise bay on a regular day you will see at least 2-3 boats getting towed in . On a regular day the paruadise bay gas station has an endless procession of boats filling up with gas putting their mitts on the gas nozzle and opening the bait and ice freezers . And that’s just here in this tiny hamlet and that’s just fizz boats . Add to that jet skis , gamefishing boats , yachts , kayaks , paddle boarders etc on a national scale and it gets silly very quickly so one rule for all is really the only pragmatic approach .

there’s a much bigger picture out there that extends beyond your own personal anchor roller . I think the authorities are doing the right thing suppressing the mob and as far as boating goes the mob seems to be taking note .

• Upvote 1

The key point you’re missing is “how do they know?”. If a couple of visitors turn up at Fitzroy store how do they know the boaties are ‘clean & safe’ with 2-3 weeks of liveaboard isolation. Or maybe they came from the mainland yesterday? Or were part of a raft-up last week?

We are a long way off having a certification system whereby someone carries a certificate to verify they are clean / immune / recovered / vaccinated etc. It will happen but not til next year.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Aleana said:

The key point you’re missing is “how do they know?”. If a couple of visitors turn up at Fitzroy store how do they know the boaties are ‘clean & safe’ with 2-3 weeks of liveaboard isolation. Or maybe they came from the mainland yesterday? Or were part of a raft-up last week?

We are a long way off having a certification system whereby someone carries a certificate to verify they are clean / immune / recovered / vaccinated etc. It will happen but not til next year.

I imagine it would have to be on your passport and/or drivers licence 

39 minutes ago, 44forty said:

I imagine it would have to be on your passport and/or drivers licence 

Or a digital certificate you carry on your smartphone 

How does anyone know at the local supermarket if the person next to them has obeyed the rules?

The simple answer is you dont, and can't. 

Treat everyone as if they are infected, and as if you are.

Seems to me the surface contact infection is the least understood by most. Don't touch anything you don't have to when out, and wash your hands!

I would guess more than that but lots on moorings and not actually going out much. A boat on a mooring can be pretty cheap accommodation with not a lot of bills to pay. Much less expensive if you don’t need to keep it mobile. 

• Upvote 1
29 minutes ago, Maté said:

Now I hear we cant go for a swim, again a draconian reactive response.

So imagine it’s a gorgeous late summer day like that last 5 or 6 we just had . A large % percentage of the local beachside populace and several roads Back head down for a swim like they were allowed to last week . Fast forward to 6 o’clock news like last week and cheerful Takapuna locals are being interviewed about paddle boarding with poodles and going for a swim . Next day there’s shitloads more people that have driven in from the burbs to which ever beach is their fave . 

30 minutes ago, Maté said:

in this case there is a far higher risk of getting C-19 from going to locals supermarket.

And many would have done this on the way to the beach or stopped off at the gas station 

Interesting to see that Indonesia have taken a surprisingly progressive view of managing the liveaboard cruisers caught in their waters by the Covid pandemic. Rather than the scattergun approach taken in NZ which is clearly not very helpful for visitors:

https://youtu.be/UnwPDFMOVQI