Covid 19 and liveaboards

1 hour ago, marinheiro said:

I heard Hawk was cruising around Kawau Bay area yesterday checking who is out/on board. Deodar is currently on hardstand

didn't see them in mahurangi

interesting. Appears yes to boating if normal residence but must remain in normal vicinity??

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12322599

The Health Notice does not directly address the issue, but says that if a residence is mobile it should be kept "in the same general location".

A spokesperson for the Ministry of Health told the Herald it was acceptable to stay aboard a boat if it was someone's permanent residence as long as it remained berthed.

On 4/04/2020 at 2:56 PM, Black Panther said:

My estimate a out 40 to 50 full time liveaboards in the Auckland region 

You are way out. I am a liveaboard in Mahurangi and a few years ago started a list of the live aboard that I came across. At that time there was 7 myself included in the Mahurangi. Hard to work out in Kawau but there are people living and moving through there. And they come though the Mahurangi as well. 

In the last year or so the numbers has ballooned and my last count was 46 in the waters that I travel most. Around the Weiti and other placers the waters are infested with us. mostly gray hairs like my own self.

• Like 1

I could get to a dozen live aboards up the Weiti alone without even trying, the Stillwater area has a number, most of whom are very discrete, in addition to the actual Weiti ones.

And that is one inlet in the Auckland area. Multiple that by the number of discrete inlets and quiet backwaters around the place. Live aboards aren't just in marinas and on formal moorings. There is a wide range of personalities, boats, locations and reasons for living aboard. Many prefer to stay below the radar...

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Fish said:

I could get to a dozen live aboards up the Weiti alone without even trying, the Stillwater area has a number, most of whom are very discrete, in addition to the actual Weiti ones.

And that is one inlet in the Auckland area. Multiple that by the number of discrete inlets and quiet backwaters around the place. Live aboards aren't just in marinas and on formal moorings. There is a wide range of personalities, boats, locations and reasons for living aboard. Many prefer to stay below the radar...

I counted over 20 cars in the carpark at PYBC day before yesterday and I reckon there would be 30'sh boats that are "liveabords"

Kelly Klink said some were coming ashore and using the island's scarce resources, including getting their groceries ordered to the island.

She said some boaties were being respectful, isolated and self-contained, but others were putting them at risk.

"We have a freight boat that comes over on Tuesday. One boat had come over to the island and ordered groceries, and someone from the community had witnessed him coming to get his freight straight off the wharf, 14 banana boxes of food. That's utilising resources that the community needs and our people need to bring their food in," Klink said.

A liveaboarder’s view from the US. Here’s an incentive not to f@ck up our current situation by breaching L4 lock-down rules and driving and sailing around the place making up excuses about why our personal situation should make us exempt:

They have locked us down here in San Diego now. No gathering, no sailing, no driving unless you are on a mission, and have paperwork to show what your doing. I have a piece of paper that allows me to drive around for work, I am lucky to be considered "essential services" in this area. Most people are no longer working around here. The marina (Chula Vista Marina) have let go of most security guards and other non essential people, which is almost all of them. All basic services are shut down except one set of bathrooms and showers, they are still picking up the garbage and allowing pump outs. The restaurant just re-opened but are only selling fish and chips and booze, all to-go only. The pools and hot tubs and even the dog washing stations are all closed up. The streets are weird, not many people out at all. Some, like me are obviously working, others seem to be just messing around bored. The foot traffic, which was getting crazy here, is mostly gone now. The entire marina is locked down, you cannot even get into the parking lot unless you are a resident of the marina now. All walkways are roped off, park access is blocked and if they see you in one it is a $1000 dollar fine, they are ticketing here like crazy to keep people inside.

Welcome to the new normal people. without a cure, and they have never even gotten close to curing the flu, we are going to be like this for a long long time. I am sure it will relax some, but with so many people out of work and totally broke there is no reason to open your business again, better to play the bankruptcy game. If you are out of work the local law is they cannot kick you out of the marina, that rule ends in June at the moment but I think they will extend it. I know many people who are not paying slip fee's or other bills. We got extensions on almost all our bills, car payment has been extended 90 days moving today bills to the back end of the loan, along with credit cards and some other things like internet fee's. 

The flu sucks, but the economy is in real trouble. Thankfully here in the USA we can print money all day long so the Gov is giving away money. In the long run though people are in trouble, there are no jobs, there is very little work to do and even less people doing it. Our workers in some industries are striking for more money. Places like convenience stores are down to one or two employees and have limited hours. You never know what is open until you pull into the parking lot. I don't blame them, the news has made everyone scared to death. I don't think I would keep a public facing job that pays $13 and hour right now. They are Striking for only $15 an hour, you cannot really live here unless your making $25, it is not a cheap place to live. It is a new future people, the low paying industries will either raise their wages or be without any employees soon. I don't think there is enough money to raise wages much in fast food and small stores so in truth we are about to see a lot of closures in California.

Stay safe my friends. 

First day of boat movement in a long time . One boat came in from barrier this morning hard to tell where they were going as the were gybing back and forth . Two boats sailing together now past chicks heading north . came from Rodney so defi from the supercity but home port could be anywhere 

I think the weather forecast means a lot of the last 2 week’s Covid-cruisers will head home by tomorrow and suddenly decide life at home might be better after all.

1 hour ago, Black Panther said:

Pretty much all liveaboards around us now. All the day trippers gone home.

Probably combination of changing weather, dwindling provisions and boredom rather than a feeling of doing the right thing. They’ll probably be home tonight, do the laundry and then drive 200km to the beach house tomorrow.

Agreed, we are back, and we'll be staying here.

Came back because of two things - Jo has an appointment at the hospital that they said would not go ahead, but they now say it will, and I have arranged a Maritime NZ Oral exam to be done via Skype early next week, and I wanted good internet...

So now stuck at home like the rest of you.

While we were out, we really did not see anyone breaching the rules, other than perhaps a bit more boat movement than was necessary. Way more people on land out in their cars without good reason it seems....

20 minutes ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

On Friday the city cops they had in the country turned back a vet. He'd driven 40 mins, was 4km from the farm but the cops demanded he went home or be fined. The cow and calf died. Looks like both sides have their fair share of brainless muppets.

I'm curious how you define  sides here.

19 minutes ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

On Friday the city cops they had in the country turned back a vet. He'd driven 40 mins, was 4km from the farm but the cops demanded he went home or be fined. The cow and calf died. Looks like both sides have their fair share of brainless muppets.

Yet they allowed a lady to drive to Tauranga,as she was in her bubble gong to see her boyfriend who was in his bubble,surely when the 2 meet the bubble is broken??Meanwhile S.Bridges can drive Tauranga To wellington as head of a select committee with Winstones blessing.wrong thread I know,sorry.Just to re a firm the nuttiness going on as in KMs case.

3 minutes ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

Simon Bridges is the ONLY person in NZ will the power to question the Government, the poluce or anyone one else while we are in this Police state. His role in NZ today is massive and one could argue as big or bigger than the PM's. You are comparing Apples with the International Space Stations coffee maker.

If his role is what you say it is,then why not make a base for himself in Wellington,does not set a good precedent to the rest of the country.

Alright for Bridges then its alright for me??The whole exercise is not to tie up emergency services in the event of accident. No one intends to have an accident but it happens.

• Upvote 1