Another ridiculous lifejacket article

Doesn't seem too harsh to me - speeding is a big problem in the Sounds, and the requirement is only to carry the life jackets. Mind you, I'd be a bit pissed if I got a ticket for not having a lifey in the dinghy while rowing the stern line 10m to the shore.

Because ,like crash helmets in cars,there would be a huge public uproar.Plus getting ID for the ticket in the surf,river,water would be problematic and difficult. Nope,the more that's written about the LJ Nazis the more it becomes apparent it's another revenue stream for Councils. ! And oh so easy too.

Probably right mate. 

To be fair to the Waka Ama groups, I have seen the big crews out in pretty nasty weather, and all wearing pfd's. but the  remaining 90+% of the time they feel they don't need them. Skippers (and individuals) responsibility works for them, I guess.

I have never seen the waikato fleet here (well, over the river) out training, but I'll keep an eye out to check for pfd's when I see them.

'tis true, they are frig'n long! 

Can someone straighten out this bag of snakes?? Are the rules completely different  in different regions, or much of a muchness?

I thought it was mandatory to wear a pfd in any vessel under 6m unless the skipper explicitly states otherwise? Is that now different in each area? I know Auckland has it's own policies, but other areas?

Nope - because most of the wakas you are talking about are longer that 6m!

Yep, but my point was that when the skippers/coaches think they're necessary they get worn.

Which would indicate to me that they use common sense.

With that in mind, I wonder if any of the overloaded dinghy statistics include waka ama paddlers? I would very much doubt it.

For all the back and forth this thread has given me some interesting thoughts on reflection. Not all may agree and that is entirely their prerogative, this is just my experience and point of view. Even though my boat is over the prescribed 6. whatever metres long everyone I invited from work on the crew rum race asked for a lifejacket. They all got one, with crotch straps. But then I got to thinking about the majority of sailing I do, which is racing around the harbour on my 8.5 cat. I have a good quality life jacket on the boat yet rarely wear it. I Wonder if the better analogy is to seatbelts in a car rather than crash helmets as was purported to above. I suppose the question is how much a well fitting good quality life jacket is going to impact my sailing ability vs. not wearing one and watching my boat disappear at 15 kts without a helm.... I think I'll start wearing mine more often to be honest as the benefits trend to outweigh the downsides

For all the back and forth this thread has given me some interesting thoughts on reflection. Not all may agree and that is entirely their prerogative, this is just my experience and point of view. Even though my boat is over the prescribed 6. whatever metres long everyone I invited from work on the crew rum race asked for a lifejacket. They all got one, with crotch straps. But then I got to thinking about the majority of sailing I do, which is racing around the harbour on my 8.5 cat. I have a good quality life jacket on the boat yet rarely wear it. I Wonder if the better analogy is to seatbelts in a car rather than crash helmets as was purported to above. I suppose the question is how much a well fitting good quality life jacket is going to impact my sailing ability vs. not wearing one and watching my boat disappear at 15 kts without a helm.... I think I'll start wearing mine more often to be honest as the benefits trend to outweigh the downsides

ear a harness as well,what destruction will a helmless vessel do?

The Harbourmaster at Coro was seen out regularly patrolling bays on a Jetski when we were there. 

There was this one particular dilemma for him in our bay - when you swim into the beach from the launch you don't need a life jacket, when you take the inflatable dinghy you do, but what about when you take your inflatable unicorn??

IMG_4017.jpg

• Upvote 2

BP, Im sure the harbourmaster could be enforcing the rules as intended, perhaps at the local boat ramp, or even poplular fishing spots. To target boaties in tenders close to shore in calm conditions is unacceptable.