Fire at Pine Harbor

26 minutes ago, Bob said:

Current rumour from the locals is that it was lithium batteries that exploded

NZ Herald says gas bottle, but if lithium rumour is right then that will be interesting.

If it's LifePo4, it is extremely unlikely to be the batteries themselves, but, if unfused (or fused with wrong spec fuses) a direct short can be 1000's of amps, and the cables can catch fire. Poorly spec'd fuses wont break the connection, and, without a break, can be pretty hard to stop!

my neighbour knows the owner of the classic next door,  apparently just recently relaunched after a like new rebuild, the owner is gutted. He invested a lot of both money and his time to get it perfect

My wife was there when the fire started and heard the local sparkies talking about how to put out a lithium battery fire so probably the rumour started from there, i am sure we will find out over the next day or so if it is true

Always terrible to see. One of the first comments i saw on one of the facebook pages was some pathetic fool crying insurance fraud. Man there are some scumbags out there.

Every incident adds some knowledge to help us remain vigilant .So I hope it's forthcoming and not caught up in the usual maritime investigation process and dissappear onto a desk for two years. 

As for the immediate assumption of lpg, 

Watch this.

Looks like D pier. Our son has his boat on E pier about the same distance out. Haven't heard from him so must be all right. Think he was in Rockie bay a couple of weeks ago with you Young Entertainer.

whats the boat chariot?  i think the actual damage was restricted to boats fairly close,  by 5.30pm only D pier was closed and all the rest open.  Marina sent out an email last night to say all directly effected boat owners had been contacted and other boats on A-D should visit and potentially need to wash any soot off.  The breeze direction did pretty much mean smoke only blew over the end few boats on the first four piers so only a few would need a wash 

1 hour ago, Young Entertainer said:

whats the boat chariot?  i think the actual damage was restricted to boats fairly close,  by 5.30pm only D pier was closed and all the rest open.  Marina sent out an email last night to say all directly effected boat owners had been contacted and other boats on A-D should visit and potentially need to wash any soot off.  The breeze direction did pretty much mean smoke only blew over the end few boats on the first four piers so only a few would need a wash 

Boat name is Mystras. I'll whisper this, it's a small Riv. Just had a call from him. Says the N/west breeze saved him as he is just about directly opposite.