SSANZ Triple Series 2023

We had to retire due to an injury which happened as we tried to gybe unfortunately, everything was pretty loaded up. Prior to that the downhaul broke in the puff which made it a bit hard to steer. A real shame as we were looking forward to big send, next time!

7 hours ago, raz88 said:

Were they the blue kite?

Where is the blue kite in the video?

Pretty sure Sunset Sam is the little boat with the fractional white kite... they look on edge and hauling!

4 minutes ago, Cameron said:

Pretty sure Sunset Sam is the little boat with the fractional white kite... they look on edge and hauling!

I bought Shapeshifter (ex Fadeaway) off the guy who developed Sunset Sam. He reckoned they used SS as a development platform for their 830 but the SS was such a weapon they kept sailing it and left the 830 in a shed for over 20 years!

Great send 

6 hours ago, Island Time said:

Rogue split their main in 1/2...

Yup we had an awesome day out there but the old main finally gave in. We tried to carry on with just the jib but it was pretty slow so we decided to get home and pack it up before dark. Just a simple seam coming undone and a very easy fix. I have a new main half finished anyway as I knew that one was right at the end of its life.

Screenshot_20230701_150454_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Cameron said:

Didn't notice, but had a look at the tracker and think the blue kite was motamouse. The small boat that was up with you, bizzare and us at motouhi channel. They seemed to smash it when all the boats around them were wiping out.

For the Sched my crew texted in, got no response, then kept checking his phone for next 5 minutes.

Then I texted in, got no response, then kept checking my phone for next 5 minutes.

Then I called coastguard on VHF, got response immediately. Old technology wins!

After the race we discovered that we did both a text response which took 7 or 8 minutes...

Impressive start and race from Hard Labour.   Well done Cam.
Respect to Psyche for the spinnaker at the start too.  Hope the crew and boat are on the mend.
Not everyone saw Prism try for the spinnaker on the reach to the Noises.  It was a gutsy effort. 

I looked out over the harbour on Saturday morning and saw painted ships on a glassy harbour. "Ha" I thought to myself. It will be a long slow cold night for those crews. I almost felt glad I hadn't gotten organised to find a ride. 

Imagine my chagrin when I looked up the SSANZ site and saw the results, the elapsed times, and the amendments to SIs. "How unfair" I thought. A race committee with the sense to make life easy for themselves and the foresight to earn the eternal gratitude of the competitors.

Nice work guys.

• Upvote 1

We were in Longhaul ona wooden 30 footer and finished just before midnight. 

Spent about 2 hrs drifting NE of Rangi light avoiding the tide in zero breeze but never got bored as we were defending our lead from a few big boats.

Change of tide bought a fresh breeze line which we hooked into and flew to the finish... great fun 👍🏾 

• Upvote 1