3 hours ago, SeaAir said:

I bet Russell C is impressed to have this in his face each time he looks out the window!  😖

Mwahaha

Russel is in Europe somewhere at the moment supporting a small team racing moths (I think his son).

That really f**ks me off. Its only been there 5 minutes. I was out fishing off Army Bay when they towed it around, maybe only 1 month ago? Sure it was there on Saturday.

And its not like we had a descent NE storm or any swell. What did they moor it with? Fishing braid?

That is just incompetent to moor a boat and have it bust off within 5 minutes, and without a descent storm.

Edit: 14th June it was towed around there. Its the 17th July today. 32 days it lasted on the mooring. And we haven't had a NE blow yet.

Who can spell 'insurance job?'

• Haha 1

I doubt it's an insurance job as I bet GH sold it for virtually nothing... and what insurance company would insure it for heaps when it was brought recently for nix?

I doubt it is insured at all!

OK, no jokes now. I've been down there and spoken to the owner, who is f**king hopeless. He is a surfer, not a sailor (his words), and hasn't got a clue.

Who is local and wants to help get this off the rocks before it smashes up and we have 10 million carbon fibre splinters washing around our marine environment?

High tide is 7pm tonight.

I can get two good anchors, chain and a hundred or so meters of rod, my 3m inflatable and a 2hp outboard. I'm also perfectly happy to swim around in the dark, have dive torches and appropriate wetsuit.

Anyone got a RIB or dinghy with bigger outboard? The boat only weighs 3.5t...

Owner currently only has a jetski to get it off with. Harbour Master and Coastguard have both told him to f*ck off.

I think we as a community are needed to sort this out before we have an environmental mess that is bigger to sort out...

PM me directly if you want. 

PS, I've done this before, when the Kathleen (Van de Stadt 32) washed up on Stanmore Bay beach last August. That owner was trying to sort it by himself. He'd lost his business in covid, and just needed the community to get around him and sort it out. That time I swam my anchors out in the dark in a NE blow and big surf, but it stopped the Kathleen smashing to bits on the sea wall. Next low tide we got Jimmy from Cando lifting along with his Hiab Truck to lift the boat off the beach in one piece. It was then responsibly disposed of from the carpark.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
2 minutes ago, Leftred said:

Sorry shouldn't joke. That's really disappointing the harbourmaster doesn't want to help before it becomes a bigger problem.

It is normal in that they have to give the owner an opportunity to sort it out themselves. All the HM does is contract the salvage company, then send the owner the bill. It starts at $10k for the simplest job, and would typically be maybe $30k, not counting disposal...

2 hours ago, K4309 said:

OK, no jokes now. I've been down there and spoken to the owner, who is f**king hopeless. He is a surfer, not a sailor (his words), and hasn't got a clue.

Who is local and wants to help get this off the rocks before it smashes up and we have 10 million carbon fibre splinters washing around our marine environment?

High tide is 7pm tonight.

I can get two good anchors, chain and a hundred or so meters of rod, my 3m inflatable and a 2hp outboard. I'm also perfectly happy to swim around in the dark, have dive torches and appropriate wetsuit.

Anyone got a RIB or dinghy with bigger outboard? The boat only weighs 3.5t...

Owner currently only has a jetski to get it off with. Harbour Master and Coastguard have both told him to f*ck off.

I think we as a community are needed to sort this out before we have an environmental mess that is bigger to sort out...

PM me directly if you want. 

PS, I've done this before, when the Kathleen (Van de Stadt 32) washed up on Stanmore Bay beach last August. That owner was trying to sort it by himself. He'd lost his business in covid, and just needed the community to get around him and sort it out. That time I swam my anchors out in the dark in a NE blow and big surf, but it stopped the Kathleen smashing to bits on the sea wall. Next low tide we got Jimmy from Cando lifting along with his Hiab Truck to lift the boat off the beach in one piece. It was then responsibly disposed of from the carpark.

I'm staying out of this for now. As of 5:30pm the owner was down there with two others, using a jetski and a small plastic dinghy with a 2hp. So I doubt I could add very much with my inflatable and 2 hp. Last I spoke to him he had trash pumps and a generator too. There is zero wave action and only a moderate wind. I'd say the boat drifted ashore rather than being driven ashore by waves, so I'd like to think it wont be too complicated to get off. Not sure if the jetski will cut it, but full credit for trying.

The back story is growing increasingly interesting. Third hand account that the owner wanted to use the boat for surfing safari type trips, to drop surfers in behind breaks. I'm not sure why you'd use this hulk instead of a regular boat. Not sure about it's stability sans keel and rig - most yachts roll like a bastard without a rig.

There sounds like a fair legal story with how the guy was kicked out of GH with no engine, electrics or anything. The boat isn't even antifouled. Growing some fine specimens in the 32 days its been in the water.

It also fascinates me how we can have a reasonable pollution risk, and we have no govt or council agency that will get involved when it is easy to control the pollution risk. We have so much overreach into so many aspects of our lives, but zero help when it could be handy. We have a govt that will issue prohibition notices banning farmers from feeding cows with $100,000 fines, but the risk of kevlar and carbon fibre splinters up and down the coast, and they're all "yeah - nah". There is a scallop bed right there too. Not that anyone knows, or can touch it with the full scallop closure. Filter feeders might clean up the carbon splinters for us...

2 hours ago, K4309 said:

It is normal in that they have to give the owner an opportunity to sort it out themselves. All the HM does is contract the salvage company, then send the owner the bill. It starts at $10k for the simplest job, and would typically be maybe $30k, not counting disposal...

Possibly outside Auckland Harbour Masters area but defiantly falls under Auckland council jurisdiction.