Parnell Poo Pipe

Didnt affect the yachts sailing up and down the harbour on a lovely evening last night either, I would have thought a leading yacht club would emphasise skippers responsibility and personal choice -much like I chose to go swimming each day during our first lockdown, "nobody dead, nothing to see here -as I said to the police man who watched us ancient locals swimming where we always do . He smiled and left. 

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, El Toro said:

The spill, nor the rahui appear to be impacting the dolphins which swam through Okahu Bay for a few hours yesterday

Just don't eat the dolphins and you'll be fine.

The water down in westhaven was actually looking pretty good yestersay (as compared to the usual green murk after a weekend of rain)

On 4/10/2023 at 12:12 PM, CarpeDiem said:

E. coli levels in the Waitematā are at record highs

Yet during the 30/40/50s lot fished the sewer beacon at orakei.dont recall the old man saying they got sick.

Despite all the scaremongering, none of the sailors (or triathletes) got sick at the Rio Olympics.  City of 13 million v Parnell suburb of 8000.

It's a bit like all these fronts coming through being described as "atmospheric rivers".

Over reacting is now the norm.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Steve said:

Despite all the scaremongering, none of the sailors (or triathletes) got sick at the Rio Olympics.  City of 13 million v Parnell suburb of 8000.

It's a bit like all these fronts coming through being described as "atmospheric rivers".

Over reacting is now the norm.

Or the collective gasp when a great white is spotted in the Waitemata . They’ve been breeding in Auckland since the beginning of time 

• Upvote 1

To pretty much everyone who isn't experienced, every shark is a great white, I do tend to agree with the overreaction and cotton wool approach but overall it's better for everyone. 

Take OSH for example, NZ used to have shocking workplace injury rates and as much as everyone complains workers in general have more fingers, better hearing and live longer now than in previous era's. The stories from the good old days when you could catch a snapper from the end of the sh*t pipe, drink 6 Waitemata Bitters, light up a fag and get into the Phase 3 Vanguard with no seatbelt (or brakes), drive home to re-roof the house with supersix that you cut with a skilsaw up a ladder with no mask then head to work on Monday where you operated the steel puncher with no earmuffs or eye protection, yeah the good old days!

In this case YNZ has advised clubs directly to not run any racing until the repair is made and the harbour has flushed (so to speak)

https://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/news/auckland-wastewater-spill-yachties-boaties-urged-stay-waitemata-harbour-weekend

Major excavation work is under way after the collapse of a sewerage pipe in Parnell. Photos / Watercare

No one is stopping anyone from swimming, boating or even drinking out of the harbour, its your choice

3 hours ago, Ex Machina said:

Or the collective gasp when a great white is spotted in the Waitemata . They’ve been breeding in Auckland since the beginning of time 

According to the guys who work/paint the bridge ,they are hammeheads,come up to the warm shallows to drop their pups,now f you want GW go to tipitai island (cake) on the Manukau,its their breeding ground. Theres a good book out by Mavis Brambly "sea cockies of the Manukau" her family use to catch them for the livers and render down for oil.

1 hour ago, harrytom said:

According to the guys who work/paint the bridge ,they are hammeheads,come up to the warm shallows to drop their pups,now f you want GW go to tipitai island (cake) on the Manukau,its their breeding ground. Theres a good book out by Mavis Brambly "sea cockies of the Manukau" her family use to catch them for the livers and render down for oil.

I remember this one caused a stir because they filmed themselves “riding” the shark as they towed it to shore . 

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/waiheke-shark-may-have-been-record-great-white/B7AZPKOIOSEIQXHFDNZHC4WBKQ/

I used to regularly surf not far from tipitai on the north head and we used to sh*t ourselves to be honest . Most of the northern harbours and inlets on the East and West Coast are nursery areas for GWs .

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Psyche said:

To pretty much everyone who isn't experienced, every shark is a great white, I do tend to agree with the overreaction and cotton wool approach but overall it's better for everyone. 

Take OSH for example, NZ used to have shocking workplace injury rates and as much as everyone complains workers in general have more fingers, better hearing and live longer now than in previous era's. The stories from the good old days when you could catch a snapper from the end of the sh*t pipe, drink 6 Waitemata Bitters, light up a fag and get into the Phase 3 Vanguard with no seatbelt (or brakes), drive home to re-roof the house with supersix that you cut with a skilsaw up a ladder with no mask then head to work on Monday where you operated the steel puncher with no earmuffs or eye protection, yeah the good old days!

In this case YNZ has advised clubs directly to not run any racing until the repair is made and the harbour has flushed (so to speak)

https://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/news/auckland-wastewater-spill-yachties-boaties-urged-stay-waitemata-harbour-weekend

Major excavation work is under way after the collapse of a sewerage pipe in Parnell. Photos / Watercare

No one is stopping anyone from swimming, boating or even drinking out of the harbour, its your choice

Yeah I remember those days too …you left out the bit where you died of silicosis , asbestosis , lung cancer , random types of cancer or a combo of 1 or two of the above .  

K3409 and Carpe Diem are missing from that picture . Need a couple of blue hats with tablets peering into the hole

• Haha 2

I cannot find any actual levels for Ecoli that have been monitored against what is a "safe level" for the reasons given to stop boats sailing.  Whilst there may be good practice to prevent board sailors or swimmers etc what evidence is there to impose  control over our sport. Ihave been onto watercare site, etc.  No EVIDENCE other than subjective guidance.  Does anyone have any reliable scientific data on an ongoing basis.  They claim to take water samples at full tide at all swimming sites.  Where are the results?

Contradict me if I am wrong, but I remember reading a long time ago, that the survival time of viruses etc in seawater was quite  short. By the time it has been diluted by the tidal flow? I certainly would not swim in the area around there, but cancelling yacht races is surely an overreaction.