This Weekend's Achievements

Gasket arrived early from Australia and I got everything back together today.  Running exactly like it was before. 

The only oddity was a sandy kind of gel on the coolant side of the heat exchanger.. (see photo) 

From extensive googling, I have reached the conclusion that this is the coolant starting to gel as it deteriorates which has picked up left over sand from the casting process... But really that's just a guess... It could be a new species that lives in volvo yellow coolant... 

I did notice a small amount of corrosion on the raw water pump. I have decided it's probably best just to monitor that... 

20231202_105421.jpg

• Like 1

Three coats of antifoul applied, gland seal reinstalled.  Mrs Aarvark gamely attempted to cut and polish the cabin top but retreated in the face of a daunting area and minimal improvement.

Lots of activity at Panmure Yacht and Boating Club as pre-Christmas panic takes hold.

On 17/12/2023 at 9:59 AM, Black Panther said:

We're in Matamata getting ready for our visit to Hobbiton. I have camo gear and a crossbow, am I missing anything?

Cheese, use as a lure. Some consider it unsporting, but as I hunt for food not trophies, I don't feel those considerations apply.

• Haha 1

Building a half model cos I'm bored with Netflix, the actual full size vessel is local and now beached, its still largely  intact but will probably be scrapped. I'm told it is a sister ship to John Guzzwell's  Trekka or at least shares a lot of its DNA. Trekka was from the board of Laurent Giles, circa 1958 or a little later. His designs are now with a trust and Trekka is in a museum in Canada. Neither organisation could provide lines so I measured what I could from the wreck and guesstimated the rest, I will  find some recycled native timber for the backboard. The design has an open transom, reverse shear and a turtle deck, perhaps ahead of its time for the 1950's ?

Kuaka model.jpg

Kuaka model 2.jpg

• Upvote 2
On 22/12/2023 at 2:31 PM, Frank said:

Building a half model cos I'm bored with Netflix, the actual full size vessel is local and now beached, its still largely  intact but will probably be scrapped. I'm told it is a sister ship to John Guzzwell's  Trekka or at least shares a lot of its DNA. Trekka was from the board of Laurent Giles, circa 1958 or a little later. His designs are now with a trust and Trekka is in a museum in Canada. Neither organisation could provide lines so I measured what I could from the wreck and guesstimated the rest, I will  find some recycled native timber for the backboard. The design has an open transom, reverse shear and a turtle deck, perhaps ahead of its time for the 1950's ?

Kuaka model.jpg

Kuaka model 2.jpg

The new Kuaka is ready to be hung, the old one alas is done for.

The backboard is Honduras Mahogany from some old building, it had a gorgeous grain and was nicer to work with than Sapelle. I need to do the Alan Wright  Tracker at some stage  I don't suppose anyone has a lines drawing ?

Kuaka wreck.jpg

Kuaka Framed Photo.jpg

20231230_135021.jpg

• Like 3