Jump to content

This Weekend's Achievements


Guest

Recommended Posts

Ahhhh..... so much for helping me ignore the fact I have that to do to mine very shortly, Thanks FLC :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok another weekend done and dusted. Received the new carbon prodder and tube from Jason at Kilwell during the week so first priority was finding center-line of the boat and rigging up a long alloy straightedge with string line coming back to where I needed the prod to retract without using up too much of the space my anchor locker or front berth.

Once I had that sorted and triple checked that when 2 metres out the end of the prod was still on the center-line I set about making some holes.

Firstly in the newly reinforced bulkhead/anchor locker back wall and then rather more carefully in the hull.

It's not until you have to make a nice tidy elliptical hole in something expensive that you realize you have no idea how to mark it out!

In the end I cut an approximate angle in a piece of PVC pipe of the same diameter as the tube, and spent a while grinding it down till it lined up properly. I then scribed around it and went at it with drill and jigsaw. Much grinding and sanding later and it was good to go.

At the same time I finally got stuck into the proboscis that has been bugging everyone since we picked the boat up, too long to be pretty and too short to hang a code zero off so out came the saw!

 

 

Prod Locker.jpg

Nose Job.jpg

Prod tube glued.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Done!

 

I must say though, that the "proboscis" would have made a great place for an anchor roller - keeps it away from the hull, and where you can easily see it - but perhaps it would get in the way of the prod? Anyway, gone now!

Link to post
Share on other sites

38°C here this weekend.  Madness set in...

DSCN4013.JPG

 

DSCN4044.JPG

 

Was Dr Marino's stag. We set him adrift to see if he could catch some mermaids... 

 

DSCN4080.JPG

 

5h on the river, and he didn't catch a thing!!!

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw your 1st photo Doc and thought. 'They must be bored if they built a Abacus that big' :D

On a larger screen I realised the error of my guess.

 

 

I got my engine bay doors all but sorted and fitting. Just making the hinges now, which I may add are some super sexy dyneema/carbon ones I've created, no metal content and super strong. Having the doors makes the cockpit huge compared to what it was. Also preped everything for hull/deck join strength upgrade. The whole shed is now a not to shabby yellow/green colour from sanding gelcoat off. Plus a few other bits and bobs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We went to find the elephants again, but they'd left. Or it was the wrong time of the day.

Currently sliding across the firth , a lovely brisk southerly, I'm hoping we'll bust through the 4 knot barrier.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Shoot, and I thought I was cold. Great shots all right!!.

Because we took the friday and monday off ,( My wife is a teacher)it was pretty leisurely to get to the Coromandel.

Deep cove to ourselves friday night , Rabbit island to ourselves sat night and , for old times sake, sunday night in Te kouma with one other boat . Just superb.

Link to post
Share on other sites

a good weekend for stretching abilities on the storfidra 25

 

yesterday on a gentle run to rocky bay got to try poling out both genoas off the forestay

 

 

this morning on the chicken run back got my first dolphin sighting, learned more about the wind vane and had some "fun" going through the reef at bean rock and picking up the mooring at okahu bay

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Managed to hit 16 knts 2 up in about 12 knts of breeze on Sat. 12 knts is about the most we've ever seen on our lake so although it's not a super fast record, it's pretty good for our millpond.

Screen%252520shot%2525202015-07-26%25252

 

 

Unfortunately managed to turn the tiller into match sticks when righting from a capsize :(. It must have got hooked on the mainsheet which flipped through on righting and, catching the breeze in the main, just smashed it clean off the rudder box.

DSCN4213.JPG

 

 

Did manage to sail the boat back to the harbour though, by carefully balancing the main while holding the rudder box with the other hand. Christina hiking very actively to keep the boat pointing in remotely the right direction.

 

Need to think of some better design for this. The tiller is supposed to be glued solidly to the rudderbox, but having the ability to lift the tiller and give some space on the tiny deck while dicking around in the common superlight breeze, is really very useful

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...