So one of these almost hit me yesterday out in the Waitemata....

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I always find it interesting when a person complains about the actions of others, yet may themselves be undertaking activities that are not compliant with rules or requirements. Sometimes it is a matt

If this thread was my visit to crew.org I would not come back.

Harbour Master is one of the worst driven vessels I’ve ever seen both in terms of behaviour and attitude. They once tried to ticket me after a close encounter at 30+ kts when they failed to give way t

Posted Images

In this case the speed was to high, they did not make their intentions clear, and they passed way to close to a vessel not racing.

OP never said the speed was high. The complaint was he was on starboard and the boat on port adjusted course (as required) and passed behind him closer than he would have liked.

If the complaint is that the boat zoomed at him at 15 knots then fair enough - they should have stayed 50m+ away as required by colregs. But that wasn't what the original post says. So assuming speed wasn't the issue, there's no minimum distance requirement.

OP never said the speed was high. The complaint was he was on starboard and the boat on port adjusted course (as required) and passed behind him closer than he would have liked.

If the complaint is that the boat zoomed at him at 15 knots then fair enough - they should have stayed 50m+ away as required by colregs. But that wasn't what the original post says. So assuming speed wasn't the issue, there's no minimum distance requirement.

Nope, he said 

" I guess I thought with so much time that they would surely change course...but they just kept coming on a direct Tbone, and yes I did start saying "Do not hit me...do not hit me..." when they got within 50 metres.  Both me and there helmsman were in direct eye contact...and at the last 10 metres or so they altered course to miss my stern by a miniscule amount...a metre gap, no more."

and

"they were doing way, way more than 5 knots"

Both quotes show actions contrary to the rules.

I'd missed the post with that information, none of which was included in the original post. That does change things.

Fair enough Raz, as no, I didn't put their speed in the original post.

Those trapeze outrigger light boat things, really rocket along.  I was just surprised these kids just kept coming and coming right out on the edge.

One thing though, and this will now sound like I am defending the racers, but lots of the keel boat racers also got within 50 metres of me as we all beat up the harbour,  but I was comfortable as their intentions were obvious and I didn't worry too much despite their close proximity....there were so many no matter which way I tacked or turned...and to their credit when I did turn away from them despite often having technical colreg right of way, they often did say "thank you", which was appreciated.  I wasn't wanting to muck up their racing.   THankfully none of them got as close as the kids in the outrigger.

I guess its a fact that the racers want to use the harbour on a decent winters Saturday with a bit of wind, just like I do.  

[quote name="Zozza" post="226620" timestamp="

One thing though, and this will now sound like I am defending the racers, but lots of the keel boat racers also got within 50 metres of me as we all beat up the harbour,  but I was comfortable as their intentions were obvious and I didn't worry too much despite their close proximity....there were so many no matter which way I tacked or turned...and to their credit when I did turn away from them despite often having technical colreg right of way, they often did say "thank you", which was appreciated.  I wasn't wanting to muck up their racing.   THankfully none of them got as close as the kids in the outrigger.

That has been my experience in the main.

Except for TW threading the needle thru the fleet on port.

Racers non racers alike.

I used to sail out of Okahu bay in the 90's. I would be sailing at 5 knots in my old classic trying to stay clear of all the 12 footers screaming around. They used to think it was great fun to come straight at me on port and turn at the last moment. It used to scare the s@#t out of me. In the end I gave up trying to stay clear. (sometimes they were racing so i would try and stay clear even on stbd)They got the message in the end.