Boating now heavily restricted

Cindy also said that everybody who has a job is in an essential service.  So everyone working can go anywhere.  She said it, Im sticking to it.

I still think not allowing boating is crazy.  The hospitals are not full, quite the opposite, the coast guard are not busy (wonder why) the marine Police are doing nothing, the harbourmaster, nothing (nothing new there).

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Agree the govt has form for changing its mind on a whim, but in this context I don't have a problem with it. They are having to make decisions with massive ramifications very quickly and on limited fa

The higher the alert levels, the less rights you have. This is not some form of sinister Gvt control of the People however. It is about keeping the Public safe in a time of crises. You yourself might

Your comment is out of line and I've reported it. We don't need racism in NZ, or anywhere. #givenothingtoracism

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, Puff said:

Where is this whole "motorised" rumour coming from

Here is the official Covid-19 page

https://covid19.govt.nz/alert-system/alert-level-3

Puff - it was a specific comment made by the PM at her daily conference today. We really should just ignore what she says - after all she does have form

50 minutes ago, ScottiE said:

Puff - it was a specific comment made by the PM at her daily conference today. We really should just ignore what she says - after all she does have form

What he said.

In the 6pm news the dude running thru the can and can't do list after BL had spoken said 'boating' and then added 'with motors' as if he'd nearly forgotten to say it. It was very intentional and he was reading it not running on memory.

But as the wise, occasionally ;), poster I quoted mentioned, form does suggest the list and descriptions will probably change before lunch........and probably daily.

Hmmm..... According to ACC claims history cycling has already generated over 20,500 claims year to date, this 2019/20 year that is. Bikes come in at No4 of the recreational activity/sporting Top 20 list.

The Exercise the Govt has been pushing comes in at No2 with over 31,500 claims.

Jogging, another Govt encouraged activity is No7 with 9000 claims.

The closest thing to anything boat or marine related in the Top 20 would be Snowboarding which comes in at No20.  Snowboards look like wakeboards is the theory there.

There is the category 'Other' on the bottom that picks up all the rest, which I'm assuming is where sailing sits. The total for 'Other', 69K, is over 14,000 less than the total of top 3 activities combined. The top 3 being Rugby, Soccer and Fitness Training/Gym

8 minutes ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

Hmmm..... According to ACC claims history cycling has already generated over 20,500 claims year to date, this 2019/20 year that is. Bikes come in at No4 of the recreational activity/sporting Top 20 list.

The Exercise the Govt has been pushing comes in at No2 with over 31,500 claims.

Jogging, another Govt encouraged activity is No7 with 9000 claims.

The closest thing to anything boat or marine related in the Top 20 would be Snowboarding which comes in at No20.  Snowboards look like wakeboards is the theory there.

There is the category 'Other' on the bottom that picks up all the rest, which I'm assuming is where sailing sits. The total for 'Other', 69K, is over 14,000 less than the total of top 3 activities combined. The top 3 being Rugby, Soccer and Fitness Training/Gym

That's a false comparison and therefore false conclusion; heaps more people bike, walk or ran than sail.

I'd be happier if everyone chilled and stopped thinking of ways to get around the rules.

Basically sailing is so wide and generic, like boating.  The general idea is water is dangerous so therefore ban it.  Surfing was banned which is crazy and probably now back on as the backlash was strong.  You don't hear of many surfers getting in the sh*t.  

I assume that when we go to Level 3, the marina's will at least allow access?  Generally I find boating is more dangerous in the marina than out in the ocean, wiring and gas projects, drinking, falling into the water etc etc :-).   

I don't think many people are 'chilling' right now Kevin unless of course you have a cushy government position living off the tax payer tit.  If you own a business or employ people or have a bank breathing down your neck the 'chill' rate will be fairly low. 

Any activity that allows one to revitalise one's perspective on life is important and you can't claim that running, surfing or biking are more important than sailing.  The unseen factors here that no one will care about will be the depression, suicide and divorce rates in 8 weeks time when we get back to the new normal.  Maybe at least it will give Herald and Stuff something other than Covid 19 and Trump to report about.  

I'm all for people using common sense and get out and about on ya boats, what's the worse that can happen?  The police have no power and at best will slap you with a don't do that again. 

Well said Southern Man , the Chill factor is bullshit  , as you say , unless you are a civil servant / council worker sucking off tax payer / rate payer. 

Even the idea of rowing out to moored boat or visiting a marina bound boat and checking it’s all okay would be a great tonic right now. 

6 minutes ago, Elliot749 said:

Even the idea of rowing out to moored boat or visiting a marina bound boat and checking it’s all okay would be a great tonic right now. 

I don’t think I’ve heard anything that would preclude that? If you travel in your bubble and locally / regionally (I think max 45 mins drive was the guidance) to check on your boat on its berth or mooring, I doubt you’d get in trouble for that. If you cast off and go sailing you’re obviously in breach of L3 rules. But simply checking on your boat where it is should be ok.

A bit harsh Elliot, we need council workers and civil servants, the pandemic is not their fault and I wouldn't insult a rubbish truck driver or the guys still cleaning the sewers. I fully agree with southernman, there will be a heavy toll on people when reality bites. Quite a few of us here know people who were wiped out in 1987 and 2007 and the massive damage that was done and this may be worse. 

If you need to check your boat, just go. If some little hitler starts taking photos tell them to f*** off. Its as if overnight groupthink accepts the silly idea that people cant swim, think or act responsibly and some media obsessed teachers pet will feel the need to call the police or write to the herald. The marinas cannot stop you from accessing your boat no matter what they say.

Edited by Tamure