Pandemic-related boat buying as demand for berths soars

Pandemic-related boat buying linked to Seaview Marina expansion as demand for berths soars 

Cashed-up boat buyers unable to travel are thought to be behind a spike in demand for berths that has resulted in a million-dollar expansion at a Lower Hutt marina.

Seaview Marina is putting the finishing touches on a $1.2 million 46-berth extension and has plans to install an additional 31 which will allow the docks to hold more than 400 vessels.

McLellan said Seaview was the biggest marina in the region and the only one with the ability to expand. Once the new berths were built, there would be no room for more.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/125035231/pandemicrelated-boat-buying-linked-to-seaview-marina-expansion-as-demand-for-berths-soars

5 minutes ago, ex Elly said:

Pandemic-related boat buying linked to Seaview Marina expansion as demand for berths soars 

Cashed-up boat buyers unable to travel are thought to be behind a spike in demand for berths that has resulted in a million-dollar expansion at a Lower Hutt marina.

Seaview Marina is putting the finishing touches on a $1.2 million 46-berth extension and has plans to install an additional 31 which will allow the docks to hold more than 400 vessels.

McLellan said Seaview was the biggest marina in the region and the only one with the ability to expand. Once the new berths were built, there would be no room for more.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/125035231/pandemicrelated-boat-buying-linked-to-seaview-marina-expansion-as-demand-for-berths-soars

1.2 million is super cheap for that many berths ….I thought it cost that much just to talk about expanding a marina 

5 hours ago, 44forty said:

1.2 million is super cheap for that many berths ….I thought it cost that much just to talk about expanding a marina 

Think it costs that much to consult with the penguins :)

8 hours ago, 44forty said:

5 yrs ago the average cost/berth at Sandspit was around $120k, over a range of 12-18m.

The talking cost a couple of mil...

Low Interest rates is what is doing it. People are putting a boat onto their mortgage. Boat Sales, especially in the smaller fizz nasty Trailer Boat market is through the roof. One manufacturer I know of, currently has a waiting list of just over a year before they can even start a new build once you place an order.
Waikawa Marina is going through exapnsion, but that has been years in planning. And they are only increasing the number of 16M berths. However, another reason for that is because moorings are no longer allowed to be put down and some are going to be removed.
Sea View allows live aboards. Or did. Marlborough Marina's no longer allow live aboards.

I don't see that the ones buying boats are the ones that can't go on Holiday. They are two very different People types. the ones buying boats have always wanted a boat, or better boat, or bigger boat and now that they have huge equity in their Home, they have been able to borrow.
A mate just enquired about a Trailerable Fizznasty and it wasn't a huge flashy one either. This is the guy that was told over a year waiting list before they could start the build by the way. His eyes watered when he was told $300K. I thought Crikey. But it had a 300Hp engine. That is some $80K I guess. then a trailer these days are $15K to 20K. The Hull another $100K I guess. Electronics and so on. Soon adds up. And then I guess you need to add on the vehicle you need to tow it with now. Stuffed if I would spend $300K on a fizznasty. That would well and truly provide me with the boat of my dreams. Maybe two of them.

At the boat show yesterday....saw a lot of order books been signed.

Big crowd walking around buying fishing gear aswell.

No I don't buy or paid a deposit on anything.

No sailing boats or equipment on show.

On 14/05/2021 at 8:09 AM, wheels said:

I don't see that the ones buying boats are the ones that can't go on Holiday. They are two very different People types. the ones buying boats have always wanted a boat, or better boat, or bigger boat and now that they have huge equity in their Home, they have been able to borrow.
A mate just enquired about a Trailerable Fizznasty and it wasn't a huge flashy one either. This is the guy that was told over a year waiting list before they could start the build by the way. His eyes watered when he was told $300K. I thought Crikey. But it had a 300Hp engine. That is some $80K I guess. then a trailer these days are $15K to 20K. The Hull another $100K I guess. Electronics and so on. Soon adds up. And then I guess you need to add on the vehicle you need to tow it with now. Stuffed if I would spend $300K on a fizznasty. That would well and truly provide me with the boat of my dreams. Maybe two of them.

I don’t know about demographics in other parts of the country but up here the fizz boat boom seems to be driven largely tradies .

Our club is right next door to the local outboard boating club which is one of the three major launching areas in our modest sized “city”

the value of the boats combined with the value of the vehicles launched there on a busy weekend would probably be equal to the value of the pointy end of Auckland’s racing keeler fleet 

7 hours ago, Deep Purple said:

Same in whiti. The parade of 7m+ rayglasses and Tristram's heading each day to the ramp is staggering and most well over $300k usually hanging off a tradies ranger

Similar on the lakes....wave makers are very popular

On 14/05/2021 at 11:35 AM, marinheiro said:

More fish have been caught from 12' tinnies than all other pleasure boat sizes and types combined

Just a pity they don't seem to like taking enough lifejackets or putting a phone in a ziplock bag.