Round New Zealand updates

Certainly looks like their all heading for shelter if the tracker is correct, wonder what the conditions are like going into Westport? can get pretty hairy from what I've heard.

Yes HTFU has no place here I don't think there is a yacht in the world that would be comfortable in that sh*t, let alone small racing boats.

just had a look back on the tracker page.... looks like vingilot might have theirs working ?.. but they look like they are making some big angle tacks..?

Bizzarely I've always taken a perverse pleasure in extreme weather, a kind of strange curiousity to venture out in a controlled way. But nosing out of GH marina for a few mins 2moro afternoon is very different to be being stuck out in the Tasman overnight.

Flew over Cook Strait today from Blenheim to Wellington. 0-5kn and variable. A 5kn Northerly when I flew out of Wellington at lunchtime.

Agree on the HTFU comment - clearly never been in the ocean with something like that coming at them.

I have enough trouble getting a close relative to one of the boats out there to go upwind in 15 kn and flat seas - hate to think what they have been experiencing and will need to do for a while yet. Sometimes a couch is a good place.

Concur. I do like a good blow but there are limits, especially on the duration side. These guys have had a day or 3 of yucky both weather and head space wise due to the impending bigger nasty and it looks like there is easy a few days more at least. No way you can knock anyone for bailing out of crap like that.

The tracker suggests the Cav and Sunstone maybe heading towards Cook Strait now. Can't see enuff detail to see if that's just wind angle or too much wind related. What little there is seems to suggest they are on a slide so maybe they have also decided better safe than sorry. 2 smart teams in good boats so if they are heading in you know it's seriously bad out there or shortly will be.

I sure don't envy the Stewie or 1 tonner. Go safely guys.

At least Pelagian is showing 40kts up the date just now...could get a good run out of it and better than on the nose.....for now.

Up on the SSANZ site now. Hoping someone will post the plotted positions again - Dan? :wink:

http://www.ssanz.co.nz/news.html

Tracker now showing a combination of 1930 manual plots and and 2000 positions for those that are still trnasmitting - as accurate as it has been/will be for a while. Pretty good day for Surreal and Pelagian.

the tracking site on yellow brick has the updated positions....

ssanz said pelagian are hove too.....

but looks like the weather for them is getting better in the next 6 hours.....

Great to see reports from Pelagian and Panther. They'll have a story to tell, but I'm not sure that would make it worth being out there right now.

Have had fingers crossed for these guys all day, and it looks like they'll have at least another day of very strong southerlies.

daily update from Sunstone

Hi Steve,

Day four was pretty unpleasant and we're not over surprised that three boats are seeking shelter, especially with a nasty low on the way - though what shelter they'll find in Golden Bay we don't know! Wind was mostly 30-35 on the nose with very big seas, some 8-10 m. Though the wind probably didn't require it we eventually got down to No 4 and trysail, which was about right. Anyway, it seems to have done us some good relative to other boats - except for Surreal, which has shot away from us all. Only one bit of damage, when the 3rd reef pennant snapped - we jury rigged another. Today is lighter beating - 15 knots at the moment with a left-over sea. It looks like another day of beating in 30+ tomorrow and then maybe some running or reaching for a day or two. Sunstone is a rather damp house-boat at present. Roll on Half-Moon Bay!

Regards, T&V

Archived