Blue lights

But really this anchor ball , what happened to looking at the anchor warp from the bow , so if I was in a bay of anchored boats and a launch hit me I would not get insurance , what a load of crap

I feel your pain, but it can be a really useful day signal - from personal experience dealing with big ships in busy places such as Panama, it can be the only way of telling if some ship is a problem or not.  Scanning for anchor balls can settle some nerves.

Agree that putting up a day signal in most situations is ludicrous for us kiwi yachties, but there are other places in the world where it is pretty sensible.  Still a pain though.

As for Wheels comment "I think this is starting to highlight the need for many to read up on the Rules of Navigation." - my original post concerned the use of BLUE anchor lights.  I'm not certain of the reason that someone would make that choice, I guess it is either ignorance or a boyracer mentality.  Whatever it is, it should not be encouraged because at some stage, that sort of s**t will be used as a reason to force ALL of us to undergo re-education and hoop-jumping.

On the day anchoring shape thingy, I personally don't do it as we are usually anchored shallow well inshore of multiple targets and don't really see the need but there was this one day....

My wife and I has the pleasure of being on the Frigate Waikato for the start of the Whitbread here in AKL race some time back and we were issued with all-access ID cards as part of my work. So invariably we were on the bridge with all the ships officers looking out over 1000's of anchored boats either side of Rangi channel waiting for the start and the 2nd in bridge command was quick to point out to the captain - Sir, look all these targets on the radar and only one with a day shape up!

• Upvote 1

That's not how I read that section, it says nothing about tricolour quote:

Instead of exhibiting the lights prescribed in subrule (1), a power-driven vessel—

(a) of less than 12 metres in length may exhibit an all-round white light and sidelights; and

( B) of less than 7 metres in length, whose maximum speed does not exceed 7 knots, may

exhibit an all-round light and must, if practicable, exhibit sidelights.

End quote

This is simply combining the steaming light and stern light at the Masthead, and is shown in the power vessel section of the pic I posted earlier in this thread.

Surely YNZ is interpreting the all round white light can be used in conjunction with masthead lights for steaming. The height of the sidelights only has a minimum hight, so surely you could class your tricolour as side lights. afterall they perform the same function.

Surely YNZ is interpreting the all round white light can be used in conjunction with masthead lights for steaming. The height of the sidelights only has a minimum hight, so surely you could class your tricolour as side lights. afterall they perform the same function.

Nope, there must be a separation of min 1m vertical between sidelights and steaming light.  So you cant have both at the masthead, (and the steaming light must be the min 1 m above the sidelights) The one meter is for visibility - so the brighter whites don't obscure the colored lights.

That's why you see some smaller power vessels with a 1m raisable "mast" with the all round white light on it - combined stern and steaming, and also the anchor light...

• Upvote 1

Nope, there must be a separation of min 1m vertical between sidelights and steaming light.  So you cant have both at the masthead, (and the steaming light must be the min 1 m above the sidelights) The one meter is for visibility - so the brighter whites don't obscure the colored lights.

That's why you see some smaller power vessels with a 1m raisable "mast" with the all round white light on it - combined stern and steaming, and also the anchor light...

This subject was raised some years age before the coastal classic and YNZ were the ones with the alternate interpretation. There were so many boats only running Tricolour and being refused cat 3 that YNZ relaxed their requirements for nav lights. The argument was it's a yacht race, we're not motoring, which I suppose in an ideal world is correct. I would think that if you looked around any anchorage you would find a huge % that only run Tricolour.

This subject was raised some years age before the coastal classic and YNZ were the ones with the alternate interpretation. There were so many boats only running Tricolour and being refused cat 3 that YNZ relaxed their requirements for nav lights. The argument was it's a yacht race, we're not motoring, which I suppose in an ideal world is correct. I would think that if you looked around any anchorage you would find a huge % that only run Tricolour.

True, and quite a few that have no lights at all. I would not do either, myself.

So what are these lights they are using and who is selling them?

You are right on the button.  I was in Mansion house bay last year when I saw one for the first time on a new 18ft trailer boat parked next to me.

Had a talk to the owner the next morning, and asked him about it, he told me that it was fitted on the boat when he brought it.

ran in to him a week latter and he had a white one, He had gone back to the dealer and was told that he could have any color   he wanted. He had taken along the reg's and showed it to the dealer and the person was "very surprised had never heard that before".

Last week there was a 40ft yacht in Bon accord with one. 

Back on anchor lights I suppose we can infer from all the regulations comments that the kero lamp 'white light hung in the foreparts of the ship' or words to that effect,is no longer legal . And that would also infer that a sailing yacht without power is not expected to anchor overnight without an insurance risk....kero no good ,solar no good ,all those burnsco photovoltaic cigarette lighter anchor lamps off the boom no good.Shame,we did that for 7 years or so through the 90s when using our 40 ft classic without a motor,and they were good times... highly recommended for learning about how to handle a boat.

Personally ,I'm most interested in being seen over some regulation written by the same body that would have us all showing an anchor ball as a day shape,a practise not used or needed in this country.