New Hull cleaning regs for Auckland - more costs....

1 hour ago, CarpeDiem said:

Yep - he anchors it there permanently on 100m of chain - at least he did :-( - he used to move it before a big storm came to a rent-a-mooring or take it somewhere safe for a couple of days.

It's just outside harbour limits so anchoring is allowed.

Most insurance policies have a anchoring claus of 24hrs with no one board

I dive the boat myself and have done for years - this will be the next bastion to be taken from us.

I am reasonably confident the boat is, and was clean, and was done before I knew of this, so await a response with interest. 

Not too au fait with PrivacyAct  provisions - I know Westhaven will not provide details of boat/marina ownership to private people and would be the only party to pass this on to Council.

10 hours ago, Fish said:

3) what legislation are they using? Keen to understand the rules on this.

The Auckland regional pest management plan (RPMP) and the the marine pathway management plan has the rules specific to Auckland.

The Biosecurity Act lets councils make up there own rules and makes it's an offence to break rules in those plans.

2 hours ago, CarpeDiem said:

Yep - he anchors it there permanently on 100m of chain - at least he did :-( - he used to move it before a big storm came to a rent-a-mooring or take it somewhere safe for a couple of days.

It's just outside harbour limits so anchoring is allowed.

Archangel often takes up "residence" off Buckleton's Beach in the summer

1 hour ago, The big T said:

I dive the boat myself and have done for years - this will be the next bastion to be taken from us.

I am reasonably confident the boat is, and was clean, and was done before I knew of this, so await a response with interest. 

Not too au fait with PrivacyAct  provisions - I know Westhaven will not provide details of boat/marina ownership to private people and would be the only party to pass this on to Council.

Thinking like a bureaucrat, I wouldn't put in writing that you've been cleaning the boat in the water, and there is (now) no fan worm on it. It being an offence and all to clean pests off the hull in the water. If they think there was fan worm on it, and there is not now, and you say you cleaned it in the water, they might have a pop on that rule.

Maybe you could pay the floating doc for a receipt for a clean. There must be a black market in those around Christmas, I can't see why August would be any different.

It is all twaddlebollocks, but sometimes you have to watch that you don't get suckered in to a different infringement by justifying what you were doing in the first place.

On 3/08/2021 at 11:05 AM, Fogg said:

I like this idea. I would be tempted to tell them I have appointed a lawyer to handle this. Including compensation for a failure of service ie in return for paying berthing fees you reasonably expect your boat to be provided with a safe & secure berth environment. But they have failed because instead, the poor quality marine environment they are providing has exposed you to a double-peril:

1. Your boat has caught fanworm from their marina not the other way around. This is evidenced by the fact you regularly clean your hull but after a few weeks back on the visibly infected berth it’s back on your hull again.

2. You are now liable to a ‘clean-up order’ with god knows what other consequences or penalties if you don’t or can’t comply.

Sue the buggers.

I'm really looking forward to the day that someone with enough money, time and good lawyers goes down this track.

You are being potentially fined / prosecuted for having an infested boat that was infested by the service that was rented to you by the same people that are fining you.

There is something fundamentally wrong with this scenario, I wonder if a complaint to the ombudsman might be a cheap way to get things rolling.

https://www.govt.nz/browse/engaging-with-government/complain-about-a-government-department/how-to-make-a-complaint/

I have heard of someone dealing with a notice by telling the council "it was clean when I put it in your water" they never heard any more about it.

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, BOIGuy said:

You are being potentially fined / prosecuted for having an infested boat that was infested by the service that was rented to you by the same people that are fining you.

On the face of it, yeah.  In legal nicities, maybe not.

The prosecution is through the local body.

In most cases a marina is held by a separate legal entity, albeit owned by the local body.

I'd imagine that if push came to shove you would be better off making a consequential claim against the marina for some sort offoreseeable  duty of care, reasonable quality of service/facilities failing etc

How you Aucklanders going keeping your boats at a lightly fouled level?

Now that your all looking pretty dirty:

approx 5000 boats, 2hrs travel lift each, 11 haulout / hardstands

Thats only 113 days work for each yard at 4 / day.

Better start applying for your resource consents now, maybe at least approach council for comment?

My boats stuck in the yard now, sort of glad I got a spot actually, suspect there is going to be a bit of a rush coming up.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
On 3/08/2021 at 8:01 PM, The big T said:

What was the outcome/summary of your experience dealing with council over the notice they served you? 

Still in discussion. Dived boat last race weekend before race and no fan worm. Advised Council of this and that I was fully aware of my responsibilities in stopping spread of such pests. Again reminded them of fanworm all over marina.

Reply was could I advise when boat will come out for antifoul and no mention of fanworm.

Just sitting at moment - want to point out the apparent two faced Council approach - we don't like antifouling versus we don't like pests. Maybe suggest a subsidy from Council - to pull my boat out and antifoul is at best a 5 grand exercise.

• Upvote 4
3 hours ago, BOIGuy said:

How you Aucklanders going keeping your boats at a lightly fouled level?

Now that your all looking pretty dirty:

approx 5000 boats, 2hrs travel lift each, 11 haulout / hardstands

Thats only 113 days work for each yard at 4 / day.

Better start applying for your resource consents now, maybe at least approach council for comment?

My boats stuck in the yard now, sort of glad I got a spot actually, suspect there is going to be a bit of a rush coming up.

I love this arithmetic.  Pull every boat 2x per year and every yard in Auckland is full, no other work accepted.  And it takes less than 6 months for a boat to grow a dirty bum.

11 hours ago, Black Panther said:

less than 6 months for a boat to grow a dirty bum.

HaHa Hieght of summer Panmure river in 3 weeks regardless of what you use baby barnicles appear,must be all the nutrients from industrial waste??Fast flowing tide mooring seems to be worst.

Just now, BOIGuy said:

Hope you all got your council approved cleaning plan in place to get that pesky worm off your boat before you go out on Wednesday.

Bum cleaner is operating under level 3 - we were done the day level 3 opened :-)

1 hour ago, Black Panther said:

Interesting that all the Fanworm in our river up and died without any help

same at Sandspit. A marine biologist friend says it is due to the freshwater from the winter rains

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, marinheiro said:

same at Sandspit. A marine biologist friend says it is due to the freshwater from the winter rains

Well that's the answer then! Redirect the Waikato pipe line to all the estuaries that have the fan worm, and that'll kill 'em off.  Us dorklanders can die of thirst...or go crack open a cold amber one.

1 hour ago, Zozza said:

Well that's the answer then! Redirect the Waikato pipe line to all the estuaries that have the fan worm, and that'll kill 'em off.  Us dorklanders can die of thirst...or go crack open a cold amber one.

Of Waikato ;-)