Been to check your mooring lines yet?

Well, thanks to Philip Duncan from WeatherWatch doing those daily videos on the whole pacific that gave some of us a clue that a low forming way up in the pacific could become a cyclone that he said most likely will  head our way. In response, we moved our vessel to a safe spot a week ago. Even if the boat would have been ok up north, the worry and stress of not knowing while the storm was raging would have been too much. If we were to follow metservice forecast through the week, things could have been worrying.

On 14/02/2022 at 4:08 PM, ex Elly said:

Manly beach

Manly Beach locals dig a channel to try to refloat a yacht washed up by Cyclone Dovi. Photo / Neville Marriner

Ouch! Crumbs was my old boat. She has a good strong hull, did they get her off OK?

Meanwhile in a relatively sheltered bit of Kerikeri river opposite us a very big heavy timber launch on a pile mooring first broke both her bow lines before the storm even got started (they were more properly described as rotten strings) and was swinging around one pile bumping it so I went over in a small boat and put a bow line on her and attached an extra stern line from the other pile. Next morning after the storm that new bow line was holding fine but the pile at the other end had broken off completely and again she was held by one line! Before the tide turned and swung her into the neighbouring boat I managed to get another long line on to the next pile down the row. Considering she had been swinging around bumping that rotten pile the night before, attached to nothing else, it's a miracle I caught her before she broke loose completely and crashed into other boats.

• Upvote 4
7 minutes ago, syohana said:

Ouch! Crumbs was my old boat. She has a good strong hull, did they get her off OK?

Meanwhile in a relatively sheltered bit of Kerikeri river opposite us a very big heavy timber launch on a pile mooring first broke both her bow lines before the storm even got started (they were more properly described as rotten strings) and was swinging around one pile bumping it so I went over in a small boat and put a bow line on her and attached an extra stern line from the other pile. Next morning after the storm that new bow line was holding fine but the pile at the other end had broken off completely and again she was held by one line! Before the tide turned and swung her into the neighbouring boat I managed to get another long line on to the next pile down the row. Considering she had been swinging around bumping that rotten pile the night before, attached to nothing else, it's a miracle I caught her before she broke loose completely and crashed into other boats.

How awesome. Thank you for helping those stranger's and protecting their property. 

1 hour ago, CarpeDiem said:

How awesome. Thank you for helping those stranger's and protecting their property. 

It was fun, plus there was a fair chance she'd smash into one of our boats if she broke loose so it wasn't entirely an act of charity! We eventually tracked down the owner in Wellington, they had only just bought the boat.

Some pics below. A lot of the piles round here are rotten...

tangaroa2.jpg

tangaroa3.jpg

• Upvote 1
On 17/02/2022 at 9:57 AM, syohana said:

Good effort!

I went out and spent Saturday night and Sunday on my boat on the Mooring at Bayswater as I was a bit worried about my neighbours. Glad I did. 

One broke free and got stuck on another. They then bounced around upwind of me, so I spent three hours motoring the boat sideways to stay out of their path and ready to cut my mooring lines if needed. The Harbour master finally responded to my calls to them and coastguard, coming out and towing one away about 3 hrs after they hit.. 

A bit of a failing on the Harbour Master team here as I had emailed them late Jan telling them that the boat that broke free, was tied up to the 10mm buoy rope rather than the larger top rope.

A week after the storm, they hadn't contacted the owner of the other boat to let them know there might be damage. The boat has quite a bit of damage and their top rope was chafed badly due to having a rudder stuck on it.  

IMG20220213115802.jpg

IMG20220213134140.jpg

IMG20220213134919.jpg

• Upvote 1
39 minutes ago, khayyam said:

That's dedication, spending the night on an exposed mooring in a blow. 

Sadly I feel it is required due to the derelict boats left to die on moorings around us. I don't worry about my boat breaking free, I worry about them hitting us. 

was up Northcote point way several yrs ago and saw a vessel I had sold and noticed it was moored by the bouy rope,rang the owner and told him what might happen as he really needs to put a hook through ring,"nah she right,been like that 18 months" That week as fate would have it,a storm came through,broke bouy rope and ended up under Northcote point.