Jump to content

Today’s pillock


Recommended Posts

Do you guys know that there are already rules for boat ID? Often local body rules, Auckland ones say a boat must have a name on it, clearly readable, min 90mm high lettering. Jet skis have to have a number. 
Again, the rules are there, just need enforcing.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Island Time said:

Do you guys know that there are already rules for boat ID? Often local body rules, Auckland ones say a boat must have a name on it, clearly readable, min 90mm high lettering. Jet skis have to have a number. 
Again, the rules are there, just need enforcing.

My has a name on it too. Go look up (if you can) to see who the owner is. Yes yachts have a sail if registered with YNZ for race prposes only,not compulsary. Yes jetskis are registered in AK and waikato only But once again a white 16ft vessel called happy days.try finding the owner,not registered anywhere,several with  same name.

Those against compulsary registration normally have something hide. Make it part getting insurance sounds good and produce day skipper cert.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eruptn said:

Last time I looked there was one on my sail and either side of the hull, and it's a National one too...

Only if you race,how many yachts with numbers and current owner hasnt bothered to change or update details?? I never did. Not compulsory.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Really need a number of some sort, given that there are so  many common names out there. Over 130 boats named Kingfisher- etc. Sail numbers are fine if they are registered. HOwever, all that is usually after the fact, and I agree that we have enough rules, we just never see anyone enforcing them. Auckland Harbour is like a washing machine at weekends, and I think the harbourmaster is probably well understaffed and underfunded.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alibaba said:

Really need a number of some sort, given that there are so  many common names out there. Over 130 boats named Kingfisher- etc. Sail numbers are fine if they are registered. HOwever, all that is usually after the fact, and I agree that we have enough rules, we just never see anyone enforcing them. Auckland Harbour is like a washing machine at weekends, and I think the harbourmaster is probably well understaffed and underfunded.

ever tried ring HM after hrs??

Link to post
Share on other sites

The biggest problem I experience is vessel wash from launch operators going too fast. The rules are pretty basic.

91.6 Speed of vessels

(1) No person may, without reasonable excuse, propel or navigate a vessel (including a vessel towing a person or an object) at a proper speed exceeding 5 knots:

(a) within 50 metres of any other vessel, raft, or person in the water; or

(b) within 200 metres of the shore or of any structure; or (c) within 200 metres of any vessel or raft that is flying Flag A of the International Code of Signals (divers flag). 

and

91.7 Wake

Subject to rule 91.6, every person who propels or navigates a recreational craft must ensure that its wake does not cause unnecessary danger or risk of damage to other vessels, or structures, or of harm to other persons.

There is an exemption for yachts racing, but I think most people are simply not aware of these rules otherwise they wouldn't so blatantly disregard them virtually every time they go out on the water.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Psyche said:

The biggest problem I experience is vessel wash from launch operators going too fast. The rules are pretty basic.

91.6 Speed of vessels

(1) No person may, without reasonable excuse, propel or navigate a vessel (including a vessel towing a person or an object) at a proper speed exceeding 5 knots:

(a) within 50 metres of any other vessel, raft, or person in the water; or

(b) within 200 metres of the shore or of any structure; or (c) within 200 metres of any vessel or raft that is flying Flag A of the International Code of Signals (divers flag). 

and

91.7 Wake

Subject to rule 91.6, every person who propels or navigates a recreational craft must ensure that its wake does not cause unnecessary danger or risk of damage to other vessels, or structures, or of harm to other persons.

There is an exemption for yachts racing, but I think most people are simply not aware of these rules otherwise they wouldn't so blatantly disregard them virtually every time they go out on the water.

The rules are clear, if you have any understanding that rules exist.  I suspect many do not.

I think the people who have commented on enforcement (or lack of) are definitely onto something.  Its no different to road speed - we all tend to be more observant when we know there is a speed camera or a patrol nearby.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Psyche said:

 

(b) within 200 metres of the shore or of any structure; or

Every racing boat out of Auckland breaks the law during each and every race.  No one cares and further it is encouraged by clubs and members... so everyone else breaks the law as well even if they are not racing.

Within 200m of the breakwall
within 200m of the harbour bridge (I doubt that the ODM is even 200m from the bridge...)
within 200m of the ferry terminal
within 200m of bean rock light house
etc etc etc

And before anyone says "but racing yachts are excluded"... nope ... racing yachts are ONLY excluded from the 50m boat-to-boat rule - AND only between two boats that are racing in a YachtingNZ affiliated race... so that fizz boat that is drift fishing ... legally a race boat has to give it a 50m birth...
 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

And that is why its so hard to make a one size fits all rule, clearly there is common sense and they are enforced at the discretion of the HM. There is a difference between a 50ft Riv doing 25kts than a poor suffering yachtie tacking against a 2 kt tide in 5kt of breeze

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If all racing had to be in H28s then everyone would comply all the time 😜

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, CarpeDiem said:

Yes, seems unfortunate to me how close some people think getting to a ship - which is the stand on vessel inside harbour limits - is OK. If, as in this case, you hear 5 short blasts - that is the WTF are you doing signal. If you hear it directed at you, you have f%^$ed up! Keep out of the shipping channels when you can, and cross as fast as you can, at 90deg if possible.

Within a mile of the bow is too close!

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Island Time said:

Yes, seems unfortunate to me how close some people think getting to a ship - which is the stand on vessel inside harbour limits - is OK. If, as in this case, you hear 5 short blasts - that is the WTF are you doing signal. If you hear it directed at you, you have f%^$ed up! Keep out of the shipping channels when you can, and cross as fast as you can, at 90deg if possible.

Within a mile of the bow is too close!

This is an Auckland issue, every other ports I’ve sailed or run races out of, if you get 5 blasts you also get a fine from the harbour master 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jon said:

This is an Auckland issue, every other ports I’ve sailed or run races out of, if you get 5 blasts you also get a fine from the harbour master 

No issue with that Jon, again, enforcement (lack of) is the problem...

If a few decent fines were issued, it would get round, and perhaps some would book training courses?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Commercial interests do not own the harbour, it's shared with many different waka. Unfortunately some of the small boaters forget that might is right 100% of the time! Most people are respectful of a 10,000 ton behemoth bearing down on them but it is very easy to underestimate how fast these box boats travel and how limited they are to course changes because they simply cant leave the main channel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem said:

I can see two peeps in the cockpit , one standing and one sitting . Looks like a D28 or a salthouse 26 . Dunno what they were smoking to not hear or see that bearing ship down upon their asses 

Link to post
Share on other sites

"... and health and safety officials need to get involved..."

Prick.

The guilty parties probably still have the ringing in their ears, as they should. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...