Caulerpa now in BOI

So, despite Caulerpa being at Barrier for 5 years, and known about by the govt agencies for 2 years, there is no obvious impact from it, based on this Niwa report. No mass die-off's. No collapse of the ecosystem. Just the need for further monitoring. Kina's gonads are different colours all the time, that is the whole issue with harvesting kina. Scolly's are struggling, which is why they closed the entire Gulf scolly fishery, remember?

Report into impacts of exotic caulerpa on native species at Aotea

As part of our research programme, NIWA is monitoring 18 permanent sites in the affected areas at Aotea – Blind Bay, Whangaparapara Harbour and Tryphena Harbour – for information on the impacts of exotic caulerpa on the marine ecosystem and native species.

An interim report of the first stage of this research has just been released but contains preliminary results only. Further sample collection and analysis is still required.

The report says that the exotic caulerpa may be negatively impacting some species. For example, the colour of the reproductive organs of kina appears to differ from what is usual for the time of year that sampling took place.  However, because no control samples of kina were taken from areas outside of where exotic caulerpa is present, no definitive conclusions about impact can be made.

There also appears to be higher than usual scallop deaths in the areas of high caulerpa cover, however other events such as extreme weather and disease can’t be ruled out as potential causes of these deaths.

16 hours ago, K4309 said:

Of course. If you want to define 'controlling nature' as getting a bull to shag a cow at the time of year of your choosing.

No I don't, that's way too simplistic and not helpful.

I want to advance the conversation to the science behind modern farming and to where the answer will probably lie. Find a better way to kill it. Breed something we already have to eat more of it. Introduce something to eat it. GM something we already have to eat more of it. Find some value in it so it's worth harvesting.

Much the same as controlling noxious land weeds. Its ongoing work, each weed has a different solution and yep, hand harvesting of the whole plant or at least immature seed head is often the only practical way.

But with the spread so far, full eradication seems unlikely now for sure.

1 hour ago, Psyche said:

5 million should cover it. Have a hui with a hangi and sit around and talk some more??

Dont want chlorine tablets. How about we just learn to live with it,why are they saying (mpi) when found return it,why not dispose of it ashore like dydimo??

Locals have a stake in what happens, and anyone who has lived on an Island will understand how they feel.  I am pretty sure the aim of the court case is not "free money" as you imply but to get MPI to take it's responsibility far more seriously. Just like our discussion about these agencies who appear to be out of touch, its much more relevant to people directly affected. After all, we are just talking about our holidays on yachts being inconvenienced not our way of life.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, darkside said:

No I don't, that's way too simplistic and not helpful.

I want to advance the conversation to the science behind modern farming and to where the answer will probably lie. Find a better way to kill it. Breed something we already have to eat more of it. Introduce something to eat it. GM something we already have to eat more of it. Find some value in it so it's worth harvesting.

Much the same as controlling noxious land weeds. Its ongoing work, each weed has a different solution and yep, hand harvesting of the whole plant or at least immature seed head is often the only practical way.

But with the spread so far, full eradication seems unlikely now for sure.

We are possibly talking at cross purposes. I agree with your points above around trying / investigating biological controls etc.

What I am mocking when referencing people thinking they can control nature is the tides and currents, the wave action and the ability for this weed to spread by natural means. That is in direct response to this ongoing narrative that it is only spread by irresponsible and selfish boaties on their anchors and fishing gear. Noting that the Waiheke people appear to be the first to acknowledge the tides and currents are responsible for spreading this (along with, in their words, anchors and fishing gear).

I rather suspect that controlling this will be similar to how we control kina barrens. There will be a lot of talk and angst, and very little action. Occasionally some well meaning community group will get an initiative going. Supported by 2 dozen different stakeholders. Or some uni will initiate some studies, and there will be great fanfare at the outset, then everything will go quite, and after 2 years they'll say everything is inconclusive, can we please have some more funding?

Noting that kina, even in barrens, are a tonga species and there is a load of rules around just going and smashing them. As there will be a load of rules around just going and clearing caulerpa to give the seabed a break, bringing home a trailer load or two and spreading it on the garden.

11 minutes ago, eruptn said:

When the second line of the article says this:

New Zealand's first mainland infestation of the exotic pest was found at Omākiwi, Te Rawhiti in the Bay of Islands on 3 May. It is still the only known confirmed mainland infestation.

You really have to wonder about the accuracy of the rest of the article. Or do they not count Kawau and Waiheke as mainland?

• Upvote 1

These two caulerpas are found naturally in Lord Howe Island, Norfolk Island, central and western Pacific including Tonga, and in Australia.

In Indonesia and the Philippines they are also farmed and harvested.

"It seems that the conditions are getting more suitable for some of these subtropical species (such as caulerpa)," Inglis said.

Caulerpa likes sea temperatures averaging above 15 degrees.

On the other hand, the warm water East Auckland current that sweeps down Northland's east coast at certain times of the year brought many tropical fish with it. Then they disappear as the current retreats.

"Maybe caulerpa will disappear in the same way," Inglis said.

When I was in my early teens whangarei harbour was totally infested with a coral like worm that would leave a hard calcium crust up to 18inches deep. People were very concerned.  Then it went away, much like the Mediterranean fan worm in our river .

Was viewing a boat on the hard at Marsden Cove yesterday and afterwards went to the marina to visit a friend who was staying there for a short time was surprised to see a seal swimming around the boats.  Kids thought he was great.

Most amazing sight for me though was all the Fan Worm attached to the pontoons.

Quite pretty I have to say. My mate (who's French) reckons in the med they cut the top off and use the worm living inside as bait, to great effect. 

Maybe we need to think of a way to commercialize all these imports 🤔

And so the restrictions on our cruising begins. Rahui now in place for anchoring within 1nm of the Waiheke finding of Caulerpa. I think this is a good idea if they plan to get rid of it but I'm worried if it's just a wait and see approach. 

https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/auckland-top-stories/300957729/waiheke-iwi-declares-rhui-over-increasing-caulerpa-spread

https://www.ngatipaoaiwi.co.nz/media-release-2.html

This map is my guess at what that 1nm area covers. 

image.thumb.png.6c658af87cb11de148d040976d076286.png

14 hours ago, Adrianp said:

NRC are seeking contractors to trial suction dredging in Omakiwi Cove. This was on GETS today. 

At least they are trying to do something!

Suction+Dredging+RFP+August+2023.pdf 956.22 kB · 10 downloads

Seems like a opportunity for Baring sea gold dredges, they have the diving experience, needs to contained and dumped ashore

On 25/08/2023 at 4:32 PM, Adrianp said:

And so the restrictions on our cruising begins. Rahui now in place for anchoring within 1nm of the Waiheke finding of Caulerpa. I think this is a good idea if they plan to get rid of it but I'm worried if it's just a wait and see approach. 

https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/auckland-top-stories/300957729/waiheke-iwi-declares-rhui-over-increasing-caulerpa-spread

https://www.ngatipaoaiwi.co.nz/media-release-2.html

This map is my guess at what that 1nm area covers. 

image.thumb.png.6c658af87cb11de148d040976d076286.png

You are under no obligation to observe a rahui.

Just saying.

• Upvote 2

Just anchor, then check your anchor etc when you leave.  If that process is good enough for the Mercury Island find, it is good enough for Waiheke.  Was approached by Iwi survey vessel when at Thompson's point.  Very polite, told us there was 50Ha of it there. We said we would check the anchor etc.  They were very nice

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, dutyfree said:

told us there was 50Ha of it there

Thats game over? At this point suction dredging seems pathetic unless its a very tiny outbreak, cleaning ground tackle and raising awareness is probably the best action to take.