Seafaring nation?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't see how they would be 'stuck' in Tahiti? With a Carte de Seyjour, they could easily sail to Nuka Hiva or sail to the eastern Tuamotu for hurricane season, or even Hawaii to the north. The

Well yes there sort of is rational and sort of a sh*t load of it. As noted they did ask to come and were told No so what did they do, they thought f*ck you new Zealand, f*ck your laws, f*ck the r

They want to come to NZ not because their son died, not because of weather problems, but because their broker says the yacht will sell more easily here. They left and buried their son in the uk,

Posted Images

1 hour ago, waikiore said:

One solution would be to take 10 cruisers at a time and let them in to Wharengaere Bay (crater bay) off the Te Puna inlet to anchor and serve out their time. Very sheltered from all quarters

the KeriKeri providores could easily supply them food and booze etc, we could string something across the entrance to stop them leaving, the locals could watch them and Winston could be called in to advise them that anyone coming ashore would be eaten.

As from next month the time spent offshore coming down here is to be taken off their quarantine anyway, I dont particularly care about the Superyacht crowd but we should be able to provide for the couples and families cruising the Pacific also bringing business to the Marine industry that would otherwise go to Aussie.

Why not put them in a quarantine facility like everyone else? I don't think accommodation is the problem, its the provision of monitoring, health checks and available health care that is the issue.

As we are finding out with this evangelical cluster, you can't just trust people to do what they are told. The consequences are too great. That is why the army is now running security at these places.

And I am a bit bemused by the thread title. Is NZ a seafaring nation? I think the vast majority of people got here on a jet plane. That would make us an aviation nation wouldn't it? Serious question, what makes a seafaring nation?

I think you know what I meant but for the avoidance of doubt I was simply asking whether a country (like NZ) known for its close affinity to the sea (ocean racing, leisure cruising + adventures,  relatively high % boat ownership, AC pedigree, history of boat building, superyacht building & servicing etc etc) then would you not expect NZ to take an equally notable position relative to other countries with solving for the ‘cruisers caught out’ problem?

As I’ve observed before, other less noteworthy maritime nations seem to have found creative win-win solutions, so is NZ failing to live up to its innovative seafaring heritage, in this respect?

1 hour ago, Aleana said:

I think you know what I meant but for the avoidance of doubt I was simply asking whether a country (like NZ) known for its close affinity to the sea (ocean racing, leisure cruising + adventures,  relatively high % boat ownership, AC pedigree, history of boat building, superyacht building & servicing etc etc) then would you not expect NZ to take an equally notable position relative to other countries with solving for the ‘cruisers caught out’ problem?

As I’ve observed before, other less noteworthy maritime nations seem to have found creative win-win solutions, so is NZ failing to live up to its innovative seafaring heritage, in this respect?

How many of the current politicians are sailors ?  Or even seafarers for that matter 

2 hours ago, Aleana said:

I understand your sentiment. And you put it very well. I'm not sure what the issues are within govt, but I get the impression this is not quite important enough to warrant the attention. The context for that comment is that they have only just gotten around to managing visa's for entry to partners of NZ citizens and residents. Announced today.

That, and there is an election on. There is a lot of increasing angst about C19, the lockdowns and what people are permitted to do, or not do. I would think to the general Joe Public, the optics of letting in a bunch of cruisers would be unfavorable. I can chuck in a whole lot of stereo types of bums laying about sailing the world etc, but I know that is not representative.

Update from Maritime NZ yesterday.. looks promising?

4. Small Craft Guidance update 
Operational instructions for small craft travelling to New Zealand over the coming weeks 
and months will soon be released. 
Maritime NZ along with other agencies including the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Customs NZ, will 
be utilising various public and private communications channels throughout the Pacific to let small 
craft owners know what they need to do before coming to New Zealand. 
Messaging is still being developed but it will outline the required quarantine and isolation procedures 
as well as the location these vessels must initially report to. 
Further detail will be available soon and included in future Maritime Industry Updates.