This Weekend's Achievements

So someone is going to put some dry white powder into an envelope and send it to someone else?

Please let us know when this is going to happen. I’ll be watching the news with great interest (for a change)…

• Haha 2
15 minutes ago, Fogg said:

So someone is going to put some dry white powder into an envelope and send it to someone else?

Please let us know when this is going to happen. I’ll be watching the news with great interest (for a change)…

Ha, just to satisfy your curiosity but mainly to save you from watching the news... 

IMG-20210906-112002.jpg

1 hour ago, muzled said:

Ha, just to satisfy your curiosity but mainly to save you from watching the news... 

IMG-20210906-112002.jpg

Nice. That still looks beautifully questionable. Def worth keeping one eye on the news…

The 1020 came with a functioning Mariner Prince 2 burner with grill but the boss requires an oven.

So managed to get my hands on a mostly functioning Princess oven from trademe a few months back. Took some time over the weekend to fully strip the oven down and refurb/clean/reassemble with parts from the old unit. The thing cranks now and all elements fire up first click 👍🏽

Such a well built unit, compared to the crap available these days.

The only thing that I need to do is somehow get the front panel sticker recreated so we have the gradients etc.

20210831_155645.jpg

20210901_191601.jpg

• Upvote 1

Good Job!

I've not seen a 2 burner with oven  and grill before. Is it the model with or without the thermocouple flame out protection? I thought they all had that, until I saw a neighbor's one - three burner with oven - that didn't.. I still use mine, recently replaced a couple of the thermocouples to keep it working 100%. I would have thought any sign writer with a computer could make you a new label?

15 minutes ago, Island Time said:

Good Job!

I've not seen a 2 burner with oven  and grill before. Is it the model with or without the thermocouple flame out protection? I thought they all had that, until I saw a neighbor's one - three burner with oven - that didn't.. I still use mine, recently replaced a couple of the thermocouples to keep it working 100%. I would have thought any sign writer with a computer could make you a new label?

Yes has thermocouple flame outs on all elements.

The main oven element flutters for approx 30 secs or so once knob and pilot light switched off, then there's a distinct 'click and she's out.

I was wondering if normal sign writing vinyl would handle the heat.

The panel is thin stainless that was originally spot welded on the edge of the holes for control knobs but half the welds had let go and it was bent. I removed and cleaned it all up and will just rivet it back on when I've sussed the decoration of it.

39 minutes ago, funlovincriminal said:

I was wondering if normal sign writing vinyl would handle the heat.

The labels are a metallic label, Marine Stainless used to get new ones printed but no idea where from.

If you can get a photo of a good one, a printer would be able to reproduce. If it is any help 4 o'clock is about 180 deg😃

• Upvote 1

new carbon/foam steering plank and new carbon removable prod .

my mate Scott worked his butt off designing and building the rudder . The internal structure is very much like an aircraft wing with spars and ribs .

It was CNC cut from a thin carbon/foam/carbon plate . When it was assembled and glued Scott put each end on blocks and stood in the middle and it only deflected a wee bit so it’s damn strong . The core is expanding foam and the skin is carbon . It’s not super light but it has positive buoyancy and it’s feckin stiff .

the prod is a repurposed carbon spin pole we found cheap on T me . We took a splash off the bow and glued a 1.9m piece of the tube to that . The side brace bits are a 500mm length of tube split in half and glued on then wrapped up with shed loads of carbon . It will be through bolted into the anchor well and easily removed for trailering or marina berthing.

we are copying the Figaro 3 bobstay system where the bobstay is not fixed to the prod . It passes through a tube in the prod and will have a low friction ring for the tack line to pass through . Will be interesting to see how the prod behaves under compression .

08B42AFD-22D4-43DC-8530-2CE51E4FB610.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4
On 8/09/2021 at 2:10 PM, 44forty said:

new carbon/foam steering plank and new carbon removable prod .

my mate Scott worked his butt off designing and building the rudder . The internal structure is very much like an aircraft wing with spars and ribs .

It was CNC cut from a thin carbon/foam/carbon plate . When it was assembled and glued Scott put each end on blocks and stood in the middle and it only deflected a wee bit so it’s damn strong . The core is expanding foam and the skin is carbon . It’s not super light but it has positive buoyancy and it’s feckin stiff .

the prod is a repurposed carbon spin pole we found cheap on T me . We took a splash off the bow and glued a 1.9m piece of the tube to that . The side brace bits are a 500mm length of tube split in half and glued on then wrapped up with shed loads of carbon . It will be through bolted into the anchor well and easily removed for trailering or marina berthing.

we are copying the Figaro 3 bobstay system where the bobstay is not fixed to the prod . It passes through a tube in the prod and will have a low friction ring for the tack line to pass through . Will be interesting to see how the prod behaves under compression .

08B42AFD-22D4-43DC-8530-2CE51E4FB610.jpeg

Nice.  What boat are they going on to?