SailGP

10 minutes ago, Steve said:

If  you listen to the whole interview its not really about the dolphins.  Sail GP is ok with protecting the wildlife.  Its more about the Iwi.  Nowhere else in the world do they need to pay upwards of 300k to appease the various authorities.  The layers of bureaucracy all trying to tiptoe around the Iwi and the dolphin huggers go absolutely over the top.  There were a dozen iwi appointed so called dolphin experts on $600 plus expenses per day from last Wednesday.  Sir Russell called it right.  The woke madness around stuff these days is just too hard.  The rest of the world bends over backwards to host big events and we just make it as hard as possible.

And yet, he went ahead and signed the contract and its terms and conditions.

We know that RC is a sharp commercial operator.  He is for sale to the highest bidder.  Any statement he is making must be viewed as a positioning tool for the next year - a warning shot that if its not cheaper/easier for him, he'll take his toys and go elsewhere.

Now everyone has clarity - RC is in it for the money, local entities need to decide if the paltry amount SailGP pays is worth it balanced against the cost and the options to spend on a different event.

• Upvote 1

Is the general consensus that its in ChCh because its a better sailing venue or just easier to control (charge) the spectators? If the latter one would think that more the merrier since global media rights and advertising would dwarf gate takings.

Signed the Ecan about Dolphins appearing in a marine sanctuary and racing must cease. The issue is not so much the common dolphin but rather the hector/maui being endangered.

Yes Mammal come play in bow waves etc but can they avoid something doing 50mph+

RC can take his toys and go. Short memories by some how he and Brad left to join alinghi and set the world on fire in AC but failed and came running back with tails between their legs.

Now if they want more spectators why show it on tv same day/time as racing is on?Why would you want to pay to watch something that is being shown for free.

The NZ event crowd of 11,000 is bigger than any other. Peter Montgomery was saying this morning that if they could have found more seating there could have been 15-16000 spectators.

5 hours ago, harrytom said:

Now if they want more spectators why show it on tv same day/time as racing is on?Why would you want to pay to watch something that is being shown for free.

I've watched it religiously on TV for years, I was a bit annoyed at the $130 ticket price but having gone on Sunday it was well worth the money. The atmosphere is something that doesn't come across on the TV and being there really is an experience. I would rank it in my top 3 events I've attended in my life.

• Upvote 3
5 hours ago, harrytom said:

It's an awesome event, best yacht racing on the planet IMHO.

TV, not even close to the real thing sorry.

If fact, you can watch most things that happen now on dik tok, twitbook, youtube or somewhere, I still think getting out and experiencing the real thing is worthwhile?

ChCh & the organisers put on a great weekend, even with Saturday being an imaginary dolphin watch trip!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
48 minutes ago, harrytom said:

I do concede on the GP cats,fleet racing anyones game,but actual AC cats win start win race,boring as  truck.

That's one of the things that blew me away last year, first time we saw it live. Close, action packed, 10 boats with a stack of the best sailors in the world all in a closer quarters knife fight.

We were in San Fran for the LV, and while it was fun, it was like most yachting, be great to participate in, just ok to watch.

Sail GP on the other hand, watching 10 boats all charging for the first mark, holey moley! And the detail you can't see live, just look at the big screen, with replays of all the close stuff & incidents.

Well worth a weekend.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

https://www.doc.govt.nz/news/media-releases/2024-media-releases/doc-statement-sailgp-lyttelton/

DOC does not have a role in permitting or allowing the race to go ahead.

The marine mammal management plan was developed by and belongs to the race organisers. DOC does not have a role in implementing it.

SailGP has chosen to hold its event in a marine mammal sanctuary that was established for the protection of Hector’s dolphins.

• Upvote 1
37 minutes ago, CarpeDiem said:

https://www.doc.govt.nz/news/media-releases/2024-media-releases/doc-statement-sailgp-lyttelton/

DOC does not have a role in permitting or allowing the race to go ahead.

The marine mammal management plan was developed by and belongs to the race organisers. DOC does not have a role in implementing it.

SailGP has chosen to hold its event in a marine mammal sanctuary that was established for the protection of Hector’s dolphins.

Date:  24 March 2024

In New Zealand, marine mammals including Hector’s dolphins/upokohue are protected species under the Marine Mammals Protection Act and Marine Mammals Protection Regulations. This legislation directs how vessels must behave around marine mammals and says it is illegal to harass or disturb them. All vessels and people involved in the SailGP event, including any support boats or spectators, must abide by this legislation. It is a legal requirement. People controlling vessels who encounter a dolphin or other marine mammal must travel no faster than idle/no wake speed if within 300m of a dolphin, and do not herd, harass or obstruct marine mammals or cut through groups.

13 hours ago, CarpeDiem said:

Bang on CP.  
After all the experience Auckland has had with Americas Cups etc, hard to believe our esteemed Civil Servants and SailGP couldn't make it work.  

1 hour ago, Sudden5869 said:

Bang on CP.  
After all the experience Auckland has had with Americas Cups etc, hard to believe our esteemed Civil Servants and SailGP couldn't make it work.  

It is funny how people forget that marine mammal sanctuary is also a major commercial port. Ground zero for med fan worm too.

How outrageous to want to hold this event at a commercial port. Lunacy. Completely reckless.

Lyttleton is hardly a tranquil fjord in the depths of a National Park  and the sole habitat of one armed starfish and unicorn seahorses.

That, and his main issues aren't with the dolphins, it is with the bureaucracy and cost of dealing with red tape and minority groups with disproportionate power. We have a major productivity issue in NZ, GDP per capita is plummeting, we are in recession, we even have a political party campaigning on reducing bureaucracy, a Minister for Regulations. And when someone actually has the balls to call out the nonsense going on in our country, everyone gets upset because of who he is. Classic tall poppy syndrome. Several on here are clearly hung up with what happened, what? 30 yrs ago and the nonsense perpetuated by the Black Heart PR campaign.

At the same time we pay millions ($4mil I believe) of dollars to attract events like this, then we make it as hard as possible to actually make the event viable. It is a complete nonsense.

• Upvote 4

Various govt ministers are calling the application of the law "red tape" so in effect are saying there should be a favourable  application of it to suit private interests, the courts may view it differently, The Marine Mammals Protection Act 1978 applies (its been around a long time) and while I think there's a very small chance that a dolphin would be hit it's not zero so who is going to take responsibility here if they do?  The main point is that SailGP helped write the agreement and signed it! Its like the ministers complaining that the event cant proceed when its blowing 30kts because wind limits are red tape!

Lyttleton is a commercial port but the last I heard container ships and fishing vessels aren't foiling around at 100k

• Upvote 2
45 minutes ago, Psyche said:

Lyttleton is a commercial port but the last I heard container ships and fishing vessels aren't foiling around at 100k

Container ships are documented as having killed a number of Brydes Whales in the Hauraki Gulf Marine Park.

I went to the event. I will echo what Bad KItty said. Its incredible. I thought I knew all about it all, and was on the water for all bar 3(?) days of the AC when it was here.

The sailGP is another level of viewing. in person is soooo much better than on tv, I wasn't expecting that.

I hope it is in Lyttleton again, or anywhere in NZ for that matter - I'll be going.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5
35 minutes ago, waikiore said:

It was rather a lot more about the Iwi than the Hector that wasnt...

It was rather a lot more about RC not getting his way.

Nothing happened that he did not agree to beforehand.  The agreement was (I understand) virtually unchanged from the previous year.  Sail GP has already signed an agreement for next year with (presumably) similar requirements attached to it.  Talk of red tape is therefore grossly over-wrought since there was none wrapped around any of the deal this year or next.

He's like the housebuyer who is trying to renegotiate the terms after they have signed the agreement.

• Upvote 2