SailGP

4 hours ago, harrytom said:

Almost guarantee the Sail GP would of happened in Auckland if DALTON didnt give Auckland the big finger and bugger off to Spain

You must be joking? I assume he must have taken a massive dump that blocked and broke the poo pipe too?

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, mattm said:

You must be joking? I assume he must have taken a massive dump that blocked and broke the poo pipe too?

No not at all.Why would council want to proved space/stop shipping for a weekend and a few $$ in local coffers compared to what the AC brings in over a few months??

The point is they would have got fees and the disruption to shipping would be Nil. Ferries affected would only be brikenhead and hobsonville. 

They will have worked all that out and don't forget they are only 15 minute races. 

Sydney manage to do it smack in the middle of their ferry lanes which arr crazy busy compared to Ak. 

I recall Extreme Series in St Petersberg waiting for ships to clear the course several times. 

• Upvote 3

To me SailGP was a no brainer, it has everything you could ask for in terms of a sporting spectacle for "the city of sails". There are plenty of places to view the course from, it wouldn't take much in the way of creativity to make it happen. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Psyche said:

To me SailGP was a no brainer, it has everything you could ask for in terms of a sporting spectacle for "the city of sails". There are plenty of places to view the course from, it wouldn't take much in the way of creativity to make it happen. 

And there's the issue, "creativity" Or effort, or just giving a sh*t.

Maybe the council could have put up some signs as follows 

Don't Drink the Harbour Water (it’s most likely contaminated with human effluent)

Don’t Eat the soil under the grandstand (it’s most likely contaminated with petrochemicals)

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Addem said:

The point is they would have got fees and the disruption to shipping would be Nil. Ferries affected would only be brikenhead and hobsonville. 

Don't forget they have permanently cancelled the Birkenhead ferry due to lack of skippers. That is in addition to several other ferry routes either permanently cancelled or dramatically reduced frequency, including Gulf Harbour, all due to lack of skippers.

So saying SailGP would have disrupted the ferries is a nonsense. The ferries are disrupted anyway.

I think the problem is BP still own that land, and Council are trying to roger BP over the clean-up / decon. I suspect BP are just saying 'right back at you Auckland Council. I think it is a 'behind closed doors' pissing match between BP and Council, and SailGP is just collateral damage.

I have had colleagues working on techo-legal aspects of the decontamination waayy back in the mid 2010's. 

On 24/11/2023 at 12:08 PM, Psyche said:

There are plenty of places to view the course from,

I think that might have been part of the problem. Sail GP want every seat with a view to pay an admission fee for a seat in a grandstand or more $$ spot. There are too many places in the harbour to view for free from. 
Think that’s why Lyttelton worked so well for Sgp. The council, I assume agreed, to the tunnel being closed to nearly all but locals, so to get out there you took a SGP provided bus to the SGP provided viewing area. 

21 hours ago, mattm said:

I think that might have been part of the problem. Sail GP want every seat with a view to pay an admission fee for a seat in a grandstand or more $$ spot. There are too many places in the harbour to view for free from. 
Think that’s why Lyttelton worked so well for Sgp. The council, I assume agreed, to the tunnel being closed to nearly all but locals, so to get out there you took a SGP provided bus to the SGP provided viewing area. 

I understood this too. Northcote point was to be closed. 

You also have to pay moonbeams for a flag to be able to anchor in tbe boat area. The Sydney ones are $1500 

39 minutes ago, Addem said:

I understood this too. Northcote point was to be closed. 

You also have to pay moonbeams for a flag to be able to anchor in tbe boat area. The Sydney ones are $1500 

Wow. That brings about some civil liberty issues. Going around closing every public space around the harbour for a private commercial event is not on.

I've no problem paying good money to sit in the grandstands with good views of the racing, but stopping Wilfred and Wilma having a picnic (or some other completely unrelated recreation) on the reserve on the same day as the racing is not on.

Not to mention the logistical issues too.

• Upvote 1
23 hours ago, mattm said:

Nah, the tunnel was closed and public transport provided in order to control flow of traffic.  Lyttelton is a small town and parking that many cars would be a nightmare.  Also plenty of places to view sail GP in Lyttelton without paying. 

1 hour ago, southernman said:

Nah, the tunnel was closed and public transport provided in order to control flow of traffic.  Lyttelton is a small town and parking that many cars would be a nightmare.  Also plenty of places to view sail GP in Lyttelton without paying. 

Yeah, agreed. No way everyone driving themselves would have worked, but isn’t that my point? SGP all but got control of the  town. Lyttleton’s maybe never he so many people, bar maybe cruise ships, but the main street was dead. 
There was no where free to get up close. The other side of the harbour, sumner road or in houses up the hill, long way away. 

I don’t think Auckland would be so flexible to allow sgp such control of numerous areas. Take over part of Silo park, half the car park on the northern side of westhaven for grandstands (sorry about the parking boat owners), means closing the marina during races in an attempt to put the action in an area they can control/sell access to. 

On 27/11/2023 at 10:18 PM, mattm said:

Yeah, agreed. No way everyone driving themselves would have worked, but isn’t that my point? SGP all but got control of the  town. Lyttleton’s maybe never he so many people, bar maybe cruise ships, but the main street was dead. 
There was no where free to get up close. The other side of the harbour, sumner road or in houses up the hill, long way away. 

I don’t think Auckland would be so flexible to allow sgp such control of numerous areas. Take over part of Silo park, half the car park on the northern side of westhaven for grandstands (sorry about the parking boat owners), means closing the marina during races in an attempt to put the action in an area they can control/sell access to. 

Yeah true that.  Actually the other side around Diamond Harbour was actually really close.  Great views also, just a 30 minute drive which by Auckland standards not far.  

On 30/11/2023 at 6:09 AM, southernman said:

Yeah true that.  Actually the other side around Diamond Harbour was actually really close.  Great views also, just a 30 minute drive which by Auckland standards not far.  

Yeah that’s only about  5Ks travelled on a good day 

• Haha 1