SailGP

Watched the replays last night , fantastic viewing, its got plenty of drama which I imagine will broaden the audience but it would be good to have Mozzy sails on the commentary team. As for comparing it to the AC, meh they are totally different gigs.

1 hour ago, Frank said:

Watched the replays last night , fantastic viewing, its got plenty of drama which I imagine will broaden the audience but it would be good to have Mozzy sails on the commentary team. As for comparing it to the AC, meh they are totally different gigs.

Holds my interest better due to close racing and its fleet racing not drag boat racing

Wonder if Prime will show Sanfran high lights when it happens.

It was always the plan to swap between Christchurch and Auckland each year. Auckland Unlimited has a whole big month long sea festival based around the Sail GP.

• Like 1

Agreed. I don't get what they can only do 36 minutes of racing in a day. I like the event but miss the Extreme series where they had a full race card over two days. 

I was there. While the result was disappointing, the event itself was way better than I expected . I had been sceptical about the short amount of racing, but it was actually fine - probably better than 2 hours of distant keel boat sailing. Amazing amount of logistics (and obviously cost) involved in putting this on, but I can now better see the vision. I think the Auckland event will be great if you are prepared to open your wallet. Grandstand seats were $100 USD per day, plus beer. 
Lots of kiwi support there. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ex Elly said:

Sailing: SailGP pulls out of Auckland event

"However, the unavailability of Wynyard Point land as a spectator facility proved to be a barrier to holding the event in Auckland," Hill said.

Moving to Christchuch instead.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/2023/11/sailgp-pulls-out-of-auckland-event.html

Hard to verbalise how disappointing that is. NZ's biggest City by far, dozens of Council & Event staff, the City of Sails, and we can't sort out a spectator area for this.

Oh well, back to ChCh it is.

• Like 1

Christchurch was ace this year so I will be back next year, accomodation hmm.

Bit of a poor show Auckland unlimited... is this the Port company again?? Or as i suspect,there was just not enough on land room , dont worry they want to get rid of the Downtown carpark as well so people wont come to town at all soon. I well remember a great Whitbread p155 up on top of that carpark for all the sponsors a year or two back -hot sun free flowing anything you desired-it was lucky that no one fell off .

Is it just me or does it seem like there's not much in the way of large public celebrations in our city? It's  like the council is  disconnected, the city needs positive easily accessible events to build some pride in Auckland, especially after the floods, covid, the constant complaining by the Mayor etc.

They really should have made a huge effort to bring the  GP here, I mean how hard can it be, weve only hosted the worlds biggest sailing event multiple times! It would go a long way towards relieving the disappointment over Dalton removing the cup defense.

• Upvote 2
19 minutes ago, Psyche said:

Is it just me or does it seem like there's not much in the way of large public celebrations in our city? It's  like the council is  disconnected, the city needs positive easily accessible events to build some pride in Auckland, especially after the floods, covid, the constant complaining by the Mayor etc.

They really should have made a huge effort to bring the  GP here, I mean how hard can it be, weve only hosted the worlds biggest sailing event multiple times! It would go a long way towards relieving the disappointment over Dalton removing the cup defense.

A huge problem is the red tape. I had a mate involved on the organisation of the AM Cup when we last won it.

He said he couldn't believe how many different council organisations had a seat at the table and they just would go round and round pontificating.

I believe the Italians complained about after the last cup cycle as well...?

My understanding this time is Coutts insisted on having the tank farm, which wasnt going to be ready no matter what and wouldn't budge on alternate areas. There was also serious pushback from the ferries (Fullers?) and the harbourmaster around the location.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Psyche said:

On the celebrations, I think you are the wrong demographic Psyche. The Council gets right into the Pride Parade, Diwali and Matariki.

Listening to the Auckland events guy last night, he said outright we got Coldplay at Eden Park because we lost Sail GP. Because we lost Sail GP they had the budget to bring in Coldplay. Not sure why us ratepayers are subsidising multi million dollar pop bands, but that is a different issue.

The tank farm isn't ready because BP have to clean up all of the contaminated land before it can be handed over to Council. It is a legal minefield so I'm not at all surprised there are issues. With a project that complex I'm surprised it took them this long to realise those issues.

A bit disappointing to see the old 'bag Coutts' narrative coming through. Sail GP needs a 5,000 seat stadium. Where else can you put one of those in close proximity to deep water in Auckland Harbour and not shut down a major commercial port or crippled the ferries? - The Waihekians will have your balls for breakfast if you disrupt their commute.

In none of the media have I heard mention of what other locations were considered. You could close Tamaki Drive for 2 weeks and build the stadium there? I'm sure no-one in the Eastern suburbs would care? Easy to make Sir Russell the scape goat, but there are zero facts to show there was a viable alternative. Or even any alternative, viable or not.

And the fundamental difference with all the America's Cup events and Sail GP is that Sail GP is a stadium event. That has never been done before in Auckland.

• Upvote 1

I hope it is not terminal for Auckland and that we can host it next time as the decontamination is underway now (I think).  Have to laugh about red tape In NZ. Contaminated land is OK to work on everyday but not visit for a couple of hours. 

Major inconvenience as we gave a prize at our legends regatta of two nights accommodation at a Hilton suite overlooking the course. Would've been fantastic viewing point. Now we've got to get a refund.

Now I have a free weekend to go cruising somewhere - great barrier? Oops wrong thread. 

• Upvote 1

Eke Panuku and Tataki Auckland just sent out an email full of excuses, contaminated land etc etc.

Absolute rubbish, this is another example of Panuku (who is that anyway -name names stop hiding) failing their owners you and I the ratepayer . We watched on Port owned land in Christchurch -yes it was dusty dirty and smelled a bit dieselly 

its a working wharf normally -nobody cared or noticed. They dont use a bunch of names nobody understands to hide behind down there......

Wayne you need to roast some behinds-the Auckland Moana festival just lost one of the drawcards -and certainly the only one that was going to bring in the tourist dollar -hoteliers take note.

• Upvote 5