Coastal 2023

Water quality discussion aside, I'm continually stunned by how terrible the Predict Wind tracker is. If I get auto-scrolled to the coast of Sri Lanka one more time I think I'm done. No ability to filter by divisions, no boat type, a number of trackers with the skipper's name not the boat (that's not the software's fault but still). Painful.

• Upvote 2

It was pretty heinous at the Brett. We went through a couple of hours before the incident, and the sea state was all over the place. An accidental gybe would have been pretty easy to have happen. Breeze was anything from 20-30kts and shifty.

Really sad for crew and family, and also race organizers.

• Upvote 3

What a tragedy, very sad to hear about it. From the tracker it's pretty obvious which boat it was. It's going to affect a lot of people and as for the lessons, way too early to make assumptions but assume a crash gybe. I'll bet theres a few of us here that have had injuries from them while racing, and running at night in swell and breeze is the worst.

• Upvote 4
On 20/10/2023 at 9:18 AM, Bad Kitty said:

If the record is your only focus for the Coastal, & you're worried about missing out this year, I suggest some study on how to understand a forecast! 

Well that post didn't age well! Clockwork, new record for a 40' leaner I think? Maybe I'll do some more weather map study! In my defense, us multi sailors rarely set records with the wind ahead of the beam. ;-) 

Condolences to the family & crew of the casualty, tough times. The thoughts of the sailing community are with you. 💔

• Upvote 2