Yacht semi submerged off Waikalabubu

Yes you have to be really careful around that point. And the problem I’ve found there (and other similar spots) is that over-familiarisation over many years can easily leave to over-complacency. Not saying that’s what happened here but I know I’ve given myself a few ‘wake up calls’ over the years despite being in home waters! 😳

9991.pngif you can hit that rock you should of hit sooner, doubt whether they hit it but rather a submerged object. Just before xmas heading from kawakawa bay to wilson bay farms,just on dawn doing 45knots,we managed to stop before hitting a semi submerged fridge,towed it to wilson bay and now lies above hwst mark.Notified c/g and rang Thames council to say it was on the beach.

On 21/01/2021 at 9:11 AM, Fogg said:

Yes you have to be really careful around that point. And the problem I’ve found there (and other similar spots) is that over-familiarisation over many years can easily leave to over-complacency. Not saying that’s what happened here but I know I’ve given myself a few ‘wake up calls’ over the years despite being in home waters! 😳

Guilty as charged sir ! there is another nasty isolated brick in a rocky cove just around the corner towards the SW. I hit it many years ago in my old 1/4 tonner I was motoring out of the cove and seemed well out into open water when BANG ! . The stern lifted 3 ft clear  (as witnessed by another boat) and my wife did a flying dive thru the companion way. Luckily we were not at full throttle as I was just about to wind the twist grip full open when we hit. It was a low overcast and near sunset with a spring low tide, as I reached over the stern for the throttle I looked down and some reptilian part of my brain said " I think that's a rock"  another part said it was a trick of the light, that flashed through my brain in about 1/2 a second before we hit. Even though we were doing maybe 4 knots it felt like the keel had been torn right off, I frantically jumped over the shocked missus and tore up the floorboards to find no gaping hole or gushing water. the next day I dived and found a big gouge in the keel tip and a fracture in the dead wood, both easily repaired. Later my wife showed me the isolated little cross on the chart, it was totally my bad but luckily there were no injuries except to my pride. I must dive on that rock one day, probably filled with crays.

Capture.JPG