This Weekend's Achievements

hey David, thanks for sorting out my membership on here!

I bought a Warwick Stratus 747 back in June. used to be named Chinook III; I've renamed her Mercury Rising. she hadn't really been touched in 18 months and was well on her way to becoming a reef, with jumbled/missing electrics, a 15hp outboard that had been left in the "down" position, and no wardrobe save for a spinnaker in great condition. I've scraped all the barnacles (and all the paint!) off the bottom and re-antifouled, ran new wiring, dropped the boom 600mm, begged/borrowed/bought some sails, got the rigging replaced, and Damian sweet-talked the shellfish-encrusted prop with an old winch handle until she turned -- then I sanded and painted the stern leg.

oh, and I cleaned, cleaned, cleaned, and cleaned some more... :crazy: future plans include installing a solar panel and a stereo, upgrading some of the deck hardware, and other small projects. it's been a crazy 3 months; I can't believe how quickly they've passed.

There have been some modifications that meant we have to lift the wheelhouse by design

1st one is the mast step saddles over the beam and was made of galv plate - Replacement on that.

2nd up the capping on top of the beams was made with 2 planks side by side, It's cracked and water has leaked in causing rot so that's getting chipped out and replaced, the same thing on the rear beam but not as bad

3rd up is the 2 pairs of bolts though the beam being rusted to all hell along with a bunch of others too holding in the planking.

The builder picked galv for most of his fasteners and whilst it's worked the boats now coming up on 18 years old so most of it needs replacing. Going to take the chance to inspect all of the bits we don't normally get to and do a major seal/repaint job on the top sides

IMG_0699.JPG

There have been some modifications that meant we have to lift the wheelhouse by design

1st one is the mast step saddles over the beam and was made of galv plate - Replacement on that.

2nd up the capping on top of the beams was made with 2 planks side by side, It's cracked and water has leaked in causing rot so that's getting chipped out and replaced, the same thing on the rear beam but not as bad

3rd up is the 2 pairs of bolts though the beam being rusted to all hell along with a bunch of others too holding in the planking.

The builder picked galv for most of his fasteners and whilst it's worked the boats now coming up on 18 years old so most of it needs replacing. Going to take the chance to inspect all of the bits we don't normally get to and do a major seal/repaint job on the top sides

I have a Tiki 38 also the same age, but seems the builder had a longer term view with all stainless plus it was modified to be glued in place beams as well as bolts.   Still in good nick and no rot that I have found.   Need to reantifoul this summer though

hey David, thanks for sorting out my membership on here!

I bought a Warwick Stratus 747 back in June. used to be named Chinook III; I've renamed her Mercury Rising. she hadn't really been touched in 18 months and was well on her way to becoming a reef, with jumbled/missing electrics, a 15hp outboard that had been left in the "down" position, and no wardrobe save for a spinnaker in great condition. I've scraped all the barnacles (and all the paint!) off the bottom and re-antifouled, ran new wiring, dropped the boom 600mm, begged/borrowed/bought some sails, got the rigging replaced, and Damian sweet-talked the shellfish-encrusted prop with an old winch handle until she turned -- then I sanded and painted the stern leg.

oh, and I cleaned, cleaned, cleaned, and cleaned some more... :crazy: future plans include installing a solar panel and a stereo, upgrading some of the deck hardware, and other small projects. it's been a crazy 3 months; I can't believe how quickly they've passed.

Damn good boats those, still quick even today.

Added another chapter in the book of stupid sh*t I have done. (Yes my toothbrush is still stuck in the toilet).

I washed and dried the dishes. But my fingers must have been damp. Went looking for a 12v outlet in the dark and managed to poke my finger directly into the hole. Batteries are fully charged and my pulse is nearly back to normal.

• Upvote 2

Finally got around to making a new mattress for the fwd cabin. The old one was well past its use by date. The V berth is too wide to use a standard mattress size, so I went and bought a queen size premium foam mattress from Para rubber. $360. I removed the cover, and, using the mattress  sideways, its wide enough. I cut off the ends to shape, and glued them to the front to make up the required length. I used an electric carving knife to cut the foam, worked well.

Now to make the cover. Using the cover that came with the mattress, I cut out the zip and the seams, and after a bit of though, figured out how to get the required shapes out of the cover material. You can see the joins in the foam in this pic.

Making the covers.JPG

I cut out the shapes, and used normal box cushion  construction to sew it together;

Sewing the covers.JPG

It came out OK I reckon;

finished matress.JPG

And finally fitted into the boat;

matress fitted.JPG

Now I have a comfortable bed again :-)

• Upvote 1

*sigh* so many small 1-2" zigzag cracks found around the place at the moment, So many resources are either all wood or all grp :/ Sanded most of them out but a few edges are just going to get filler + epoxy rounded over rather rolling back 5" and reglassing.

Anyone got any good glass over ply books?