Who is going to buy our yachts and at what price?

If I had that wad of cash laying around, there's a big pink cat I'd rather spend it on.

I could do the upfront, but the ongoings would ruin me, regardless of which boat I went with.

I guess that's a reason we could be seeing more syndicates.

In my early sailing/racing days the iron headsail was an absolute last resort, I was "Hardcore".

Once I got married and started a family the sailing became more cruising orientated and the iron headsail got more use, it was inevitable, but the important thing was we enjoyed it as a family. Today the boys are competent handling a yacht and take the boat out on their own. I enjoy a good sail/cruise more than ever but I certainly don't feel guilty about using the iron headsail :-)

The older you get the more the iron headsail gets used. That's why i repowered last year. If it's on the nose and we want to go home, we just push the button. Gone are the days of slogging all the way home with a grumpy first mate.

People still by good Kiwi boats in good condition. I heard of a Chico 30 recently selling without even advertising it for sale, just word of mouth. Was in excellent condition though. There is a lot of rubbish around and the pile appears to be getting bigger. 

• Upvote 1

Getting back to the imports with their more usable space vs the traditional kiwi cruiser from 30 years back, I came across a Shoalcraft 31 by Cal Crooks in HMB a while back. Quite a beamy boat, lifting keel, a lot of good accommodation and a walk thru transom. From the 80s or 90s I think. I have never heard of this design before. Can anyone tell me anything about her?

Getting back to the imports with their more usable space vs the traditional kiwi cruiser from 30 years back, I came across a Shoalcraft 31 by Cal Crooks in HMB a while back. Quite a beamy boat, lifting keel, a lot of good accommodation and a walk thru transom. From the 80s or 90s I think. I have never heard of this design before. Can anyone tell me anything about her?

There are few around loosely based on a mullet boat style 32ft

Dad looked at them back in 1986,as liveaboard,but price was around $45k and being 6ft 2 not quite enough headroom,looked at the raven 31 fast but not practicle for his use so he settled on the d28 at $31k,sold 1994 for $28k not bad after he lived on it for 8 yrs,sold again ealier this yr for $19k and the owner had put a new 15hp in to it.

sorry no idea how the shoal craft sail but wouldnt expect to be much quicker than (if i read correctly)your h28,maybe in the light,inboard rig which was/is appealing.

Does an electric boat like this deserve a premium?  What are the practical down sides?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-1379547573.htm

upon a bit of research and memory it sold back in 2009 and it is a Jack Cropp,remember looking at it on the hard at okahu bay,Sold for $16k and if I am correct there was a bit of rot in the coach roof.Was tempted but where do you keep 45ft cheaply??

I almost bought a Shoalcraft recently but passed on it in the end although it was a pretty attractive deal. From what I learned, the better ones were built by Chris Brummel as he made a few changes that made them sail better.

attachicon.gifjc.jpgattachicon.gifjc.jpgA bit of fill and antifoul will sort it out.

The WoodenBoat Forum - WoodenBoat Magazine925 × 694Search by image
She is 45 ft, diagonal strip planked in Kauri with ring frames, designed/built in 1978 by Jack Cropp. She is the last of 1/2 a dozen yachts of the same ...

Cant be the last as this one is still in Wellington and the electric drive model in auckland... 

The cropp boat had a near sister in Mangonui (near Butlers point) covered in guano, last seen in Opua, the hobson bay one I have only seen towed around since electrification!!

Shocking ! .............sorry , couldn't resist :-(