Who is going to buy our yachts and at what price?

I think they only scanned the first page anyway.

Good publicity though huh IT?

I discovered a new and exciting way of getting quite nauseous today - spend an hour up the mast while on a mooring in Okahu Bay. :lol:

However I now have my spinnaker halyard, anchor light and wind indicator back up there. :thumbup:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/10387626/Buyers-market-for-old-sail-boats

You guys have all made the news. Congratulations.

Wow another informative, well researched article. Where is the

rider that Ms Bird sellers new import boats? I guess the question is that would a buyer be influenced by this article, and I guess the answer is probably yes, especially a first time buyer ...

Hmm, I'd say I've put 100k into my boat since I bought her in 2000. In the current market, I'd say it's realistically worth about 30k less than I paid for it. :( . If I had known that, would I have bought her? You bet!

Yup. I reckon I've done the same, but only in the last 4 years. I reckon I might get 20K more than what I paid for her, but only if someone wants to buy the boat... You only have to look at what Fineline went for to realise the market is pretty tight..

Been in the mountains for 5 days. Great to see you guys still perpetuating the chatter around desperate vendors and that stuff.co.nz have picked up on it and given it a nudge in the mainstream media. That's awesome for the industry, owners etc...

Now the pox is back in the media too, great, lets really put some fear into the uninformed market.

You only need one purchaser to buy your boat, just one. So how many potential purchasers has this doom and gloom thread reached now?

As for the statement in one of the classifieds re keeping dropping the price til it sells......that has to be the most dopey sales strategy ever imaginable. What about selling the benefits or is that too hard?

How about a thread espousing the benefits of the GOOD locally built boats from the 70s and 80s? They are out there and generally move out quite quickly if well cared for. Just acknowledge there's some overpriced sh*tboxes out there and move on.

Funny thing is today the good pommie cars if looked after or restored are worth a lot of money, whereas the piece of crap rusting in the paddock is still worthless.

I think calling most boats toys sort of understates it, I reckon they are a vital mental health tool and should be subsidised by the government :lol:

Actually for a lot of us, they are a lot more than that, they can be our homes and are fantastic for cheap family holidays especially now that the Kiwi Bach is out of reach. And don't need to cost much more than a decent camper van.

I'm with you Willow! :D

What I think is that a well maintained and upgraded boat 30 years old is still worth good money. Just most of them are not. There certainly are some that are. The ones that are will not have the pox, will have good sails, good gear, be of solid, capable construction, maintained to a good level, won't smell when you go aboard and will be nicely presented. And, over time, they will have cost more than they are worth to have kept them like that for 30 years. If you intend to round the Horn, then one of these boats is likely your best bet (unless you want a race boat??). If you want to sail the Gulf with your family, and have the funds, you will likely be better served with a newer import. If not, like most of us, there is something in between to suit you if you shop around.

Part of the issue of the " I can get a new XX footer for $YY" is that it does put price pressure on some older vessels. Not all. Some older vessels are better than some newer ones, and vice versa. Worldwide, prices on Yachts has dropped, this is just the effect slowly coming to NZ. What you may want is out there somewhere, probably cheaper than it was 10 years ago.

For my boat to drop 30 K in 14 years ( I don't, and won't count the maintenance and upgrade cost) is only around 1% per year in capital value. That's cheap! In that time we have done over 40,000 miles, lots of local holidays, the kids have grown up, and we have had a great time. You only have one life, forget about the purely accounting model - it will NEVER stack up. The VALUE of this has been much, much more than the cost...

Oh yeah, what do you mean the boat is not essential, but a toy? Without one I suffer withdrawal symptoms and I'm even harder to live with than normal! :lol:

I think calling most boats toys sort of understates it, I reckon they are a vital mental health tool and should be subsidised by the government :lol:

Speaking as a mental health professional... Hear Hear!!

Com'on BNG - it's not all doom and gloom on this thread - much of it has been about the positive benefits of boat ownership - even the old shitters - with a healthy dose of cynicism thrown in :)

Post hanging off the top of the mast, I'm now replacing the halyard. Feeling lucky right now I am :shifty: stainless wire splinters :shh:

Incidentally, my insurance company didn't want to know about my 1974 Jappa because "..it's only going up in value" Bloody thing is full of rust.

I'm not convinced stuff "picked up" on this thread I have my own suspicions on that. I don't think buyer's are so naive that upon reading this thread their eyes have suddenly been opened to the state of the second hand boat market.

There is more to the second hand Market than impressionable first time buyer's scouring forums. Many people buying boat's are highly experienced sailor's that are going bigger, going smaller or getting back into yachting. They know full well the state of the market long before this thread came to the surface. And yes this thread had a reach of x thousands of people but I doubt there's much in this content that most of us weren't aware of anyway.

This thread would be a damn good one for a prospective boat shopper I'd expect. Where else would one go to get such a range of opinions from the people actually out there with them who have been there done that.

It's super easy to find lots of people who will fill you with the joys, goodness, warm fuzzies and often unrealistic bollocks, they are called 'the marketing dept', but its a lot harder to find a range of people who will call it as it realistically is.

I'm sure this thread will scare some but then they probably are a little wobbly on the idea anyway so it's probably better for them and the industry/sport/activity as a whole they don't buy something that will end up only to be their unaffordable nitemear, there are no winners in doing that.

I agree, and if anything is negative, I hope it is toward the cheap Euro production boats. Not all Euro boats are bad. I would love a Swan for instance. :wink: But as for good solid Kiwi Boats, I hope ones reading this thread will get the point that they will tend to out last and in fact many already have outlasted many cheap of the light weight things.

BNG, an Auction that starts off high and decreases as time goes on, is called a Dutch Auction. Yes I agree it's a stupid way to sell a Boat, but maybe a great way for someone to get a Bargain.

patient/client of a bike riding therapist friend asked him who HIS therapist was

he said

"i don't need a therapist

i've got a bike and can go for long rides when i need to"

much the same for sailing/boating

Quoting Seneca, Mr Harris stresses the need to combine solitude and the crowd, “and to have recourse to them alternately”. Just as humans are able to deny themselves an excess of the fats and sugars that their bodies are trained to crave, so too must they remain cautious about technology: “Every technology will alienate you from some part of your life. That is its job. Your job is to notice.”

http://www.economist.com/news/books-and ... -much-good

I agree, and if anything is negative, I hope it is toward the cheap Euro production boats. Not all Euro boats are bad. I would love a Swan for instance. :wink: But as for good solid Kiwi Boats, I hope ones reading this thread will get the point that they will tend to out last and in fact many already have outlasted many cheap of the light weight things.

BNG, an Auction that starts off high and decreases as time goes on, is called a Dutch Auction. Yes I agree it's a stupid way to sell a Boat, but maybe a great way for someone to get a Bargain.

I am the "stupid person" you guys are referring to. I have sold all my boats this way and it works. The boat sells and I move on. I think its stupid to list your boat for the same price for over a year and then blame the state of the market. I don't go boating to make money. Sell your boat for what someone will pay you for it and move on. Life is too short.

I am the "stupid person" you guys are referring to. I have sold all my boats this way and it works. The boat sells and I move on. I think its stupid to list your boat for the same price for over a year and then blame the state of the market. I don't go boating to make money. Sell your boat for what someone will pay you for it and move on. Life is too short.

Too true, business people understand the sunk cost fallacy and lost opportunity cost. Buy and sell in the same market to avoid surprises!

Exactly. Having a boat on the market for 1 year is far more costly then selling it for less to start with. Especially if you value your time on the water like I do.