Who is going to buy our yachts and at what price?

You guys are right, but once a family comes along, looking after them must be no 1 priority. Place to live, food, clothes, education once that age. There are many who struggle with the basics. To say priorities, while i agree to a large extent, is not the case for all. We are lucky to live in NZ, where boats are even possible. For many in the world its a ridiculous dream. Count your blessings, and go sailing!

We looked at US boats initially but discounted them for two reasons being, 110v the other being the same boat in the US is about 20% more expensive.

Also we don't get to sail across the Atlantic, so that makes three disadvantages

As for the electrics of the Euro boats well I'm taking the Electrician on both the purchase trip and the real one.

Yes we are only interested in owner versions that haven't been charted.

And are looking at above average production / semi production models.

Staying away from the average bear hopefully.

Here's an privilege owners version but only 30ft excellent conditions from the photos.

spinnaker KM might know still working at that Auckland sail maker loft. Any body else seen this type or used - sail with.

Better not allow your wife to see this vessel 2009.

1782-8968-large.png

1782-8975-large.png

1782-8952-large.png

1782-8954-large.png

1782-8957-large.png

1782-8959-large.png

1782-8962-large.png

1782-8958-large.png

1782-8960-large.png

Lying Australia

Broker.

OC

Your right about boating families.... and priorities when the kids start, we didn't sell the boat. kept the mighty oracle as is a good all round racer cruiser,...but to get into a bigger house we brought an old shitter and have now spent 5 years doing it up.... while cutting out yacht racing but still doing the cruising. (though less than previously.) we are approaching the final stage of the house, third floor and my/wifes bedroom in march next year, thus we are going cat3 racing this year again. i.e. coastal classic etc.

like booboo, we have mostly second hand house stuff and the worlds smallest t.v but the kids have an old opti and an old motorbike to play around in/on.

1782-8968-large.png

Looking for comments from expert sail loft works, sail designers. Any on this site.

Looks like about 7 mph wind speed. Wake from photo craft taking the photo and boat speed looks like about 7 mph which is pretty darn good for such a heavy boat. That's why I suppose.

But I'm not a sail maker.

OC

To me that just looks like a normal spinnaker tacked to the bow but with a photo take with a fish eye lens.... Nothing special there.

But this is an unnecessary thread drift.

But this is an unnecessary thread drift.

Yeah, I've been thinking WTF...

Getting back to topic - The Entertainer - I think what he's asking if a fair price for what you get ...again, if I had the coin...

On the other hand, just been talking to my mate who needs to shift his 1/4 tonner - heaps of out of control fun - who'd like to make up a micro consortium for some wet and wild times on a Friday afternoon?

Yep Booboo we even flew an asymmetric like that on the cat, one of the advantages of a 25' beam.

I agree with the keep it under 10.5m for cruising in NZ to keep the costs down.

I had a 34' foam cored Robertson that was a lot of fun and plenty big enough for the family.

We even did a lap of the Pacific Islands on her. Not the right boat for that? Maybe, but we had a blast.

I'm wondering why we expect boats to hold their value. Nothing else really does (excluding land) or collectibles. I work on the basis that everything has a half life. Depreciation is part of the cost ownership. Regular maintenance and upgrading may mean that your boat is easier to sell and may attract a premium however it unlikely that the premium will match the actual cost of the upgrades. A boat that is thirty years old with the original mast, sails that are 10 years old and an engine that was replaced in 2002 has depreciated. Boat ownership, to me, is about having fun and minimizing my loss. I'm sure that racing horses and many other past-times can cost a lot more.

correct........... there is a cost to every thing ........ even land can cost you coin if you buy on a high and the market moves ... also no one can talk the market down........... the market is the market........ supply and demand..... if you have a good product people want it........ if you have a bucket of shyte you pay the price for your lack of up keep... ever way boating is an extremely great way to spend money with out expecting any return except getting those special moments in life that are priceless ............. if you can afford it :shifty:

geez- I am sure a saw a spare couple of mil lying around the house the other day, now where was it?

You don't need money to be happy. You need passion. Doesn't matter what size boat you own it's all good fun

Woohoo- we are famous.

She says a new imported 12-metre Bavaria 41 keeler can be purchased for $325,000 with extras. Similar-sized New Zealand second-hand boats are going for $270,000, and "they're old boats with old issues", she said.

I'd say 270k for a 2nd hand 40 ft boat is too much

Just one example

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-m ... 989091.htm

Which I would prefer over a Bav 41 at any price. Go figure.

There are still a lot of people who appreciate having a classic NZ boat. Definitely up here its nicer having a Davidson then just another Beneteau.

I'd prefer a well maintained and upgraded kiwi boat over something french. Unfortunately the market is saturated with 2 types. There are the people who think they can spend minimum upkeep on their boat and then sell it for the same price as what they paid, and then there are those who throw 100k into it and then believe its worth 100k more.

Can't see any second hand 40footer being worth anywhere near that sort of money despite what condition it's in. Stuff are well off here. They maybe asking 270 but that doesn't mean its worth that.

Also pox doesn't mean a boat is worthless at all how many boats have sunk from pox? Fixing pox is expensive like anything if u sit on your hands and pay someone to do it all for you.

The big question who rang stuff! !??

Hmm, I'd say I've put 100k into my boat since I bought her in 2000. In the current market, I'd say it's realistically worth about 30k less than I paid for it. :( . If I had known that, would I have bought her? You bet!

Exactly days of buying boats to make money are over. Even break even is questionable. Alot of enjoyment comes from not just the sailing but also doing the maintenance. That can be rewarding and sometimes enjoyable!