This Weekend's Achievements

What do you guys use all this hot water for?

I've got a kettle. Goes on the stove. If we want instant hot water, we fill a thermos. If we want lots of hot water, we fill two thermos. Very handy if you want a cup of tea but can't be bothered turning the gas on etc. Always have hot water for washing the dishes. Zero faffing.

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, K4309 said:

I've got a kettle. Goes on the stove. If we want instant hot water, we fill a thermos. If we want lots of hot water, we fill two thermos. Very handy if you want a cup of tea but can't be bothered turning the gas on etc. Always have hot water for washing the dishes. Zero faffing.

Can also ditch matches and rub sticks together for fire. Or better still eat your Sabre tooth Tiger raw?

Got a 25 litre Calorfier in the 1020. Heats up quick, since I repacked the insulation inside the case and lagged all the pipes it'll stay hot overnight. IMO if you have an engine driven fridge/freezer it's a no Brainer. Plus, the extra fresh cooling water capacity must make engine cooling circuit more efficient? 

20 minutes ago, funlovincriminal said:

Can also ditch matches and rub sticks together for fire. Or better still eat your Sabre tooth Tiger raw?

Got a 25 litre Calorfier in the 1020. Heats up quick, since I repacked the insulation inside the case and lagged all the pipes it'll stay hot overnight. IMO if you have an engine driven fridge/freezer it's a no Brainer. Plus, the extra fresh cooling water capacity must make engine cooling circuit more efficient? 

Diesels need to run at the optimum design temp, no point running them colder. And I've got a lectric fridge so I can just run it off solar and not make lots of noise and fumes with said diesel.

By explanation, took the kids to Rangitwotoes this weekend. We were checking out the old batches along the Issy Bay side that appear to be managed by DoC now. Proper old school. Shelves full of books (for reading). Board games. Card games. Shower was a canvas bucket with a shower head on it. Gas stoves. No wifi. No internet. You interact with people by talking to them, like to their face and everything. No TV's. No devices.

Being in Nature.

PS, I'm fairly sure Sabre Tooth Tigers are on the CITIES list now. But as for raw, I understand it's the latest way to eat kingfish (or many other fish for that matter). If you want to be posh you call it Sashimi. Or you could go OTT, add some lime juice and call it Ceviche. So yeah, eating game meat raw is on trend. The original 'food from nature'. No ultra-processed-foods when you're doing that ;-)

Imagine, being in Nature and eating food from Nature. What ever next.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, K4309 said:

Warm  showers  when my wife and I are out cruising for 10 days at a time mid winter around the Marlborough sounds...

• Upvote 2
10 hours ago, Ex Machina said:

Installed  a 40L one and copied bad kitty ? By putting an inline tap in the loop from engine to tank . It gets stupid hot otherwise and relief valve wastes water too , it will open and stay open if you are motoring for long periods . Also put a 500W 230V element in and hope to run it off the inverter via solar on sunny days .

My cylinder has a tempering valve to avoid being to hot out of tap.

Also I would have thought that the relief should not vent at engine temp/pressure on a modern marine small engine which should be a low psi header tank cap which usually is only about 7psi vs a car which is up 13 psi.

Seems wierd...maybe some fuckery going on for it to relieve?

34 minutes ago, ynot said:

Also I would have thought that the relief should not vent at engine temp/pressure on a modern marine small engine which should be a low psi header tank cap which usually is only about 7psi vs a car which is up 13 psi.

I think the pressure valve is for the water pressure in the tank, not the engine coolant which you correctly point out is low pressure.... And the water in the cylinder will be some 15C below boiling if the engine is at 85C....below boiling point asuming we are sailing at sea level...😲

8 hours ago, ynot said:

The HW cylinder has a pressure relief valve and it definitely opens on mine when the water gets to the temp as the engine which I’m guessing to be 80-90 degrees ? 

Pity this coverstion is not in its own thread. Good information.

I miss mine from Pork Chop. We have a gas heater but seldom turn it on as a bit of faffing around required vs none with calorifier. 

So, if we're out for the day we generally use the kettle and pat the ST tiger.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
8 hours ago, LBD said:

What brand/model cyliders are people using... I now need to buy one.

I installed a quick . Nearly got an isotherm but read many forums and they seem to have a leak issue with element gaskets . The quicks were a bit cheaper too and have several element wattage options . Bought it from Tenob in Auckland .

• Like 1
On 6/11/2023 at 7:06 AM, K4309 said:

Well, the primary reason in terms of litres of water used is washing dishes. But the most important reason is comfort, especially for my wife. The deal is simple. Hot water = happy wife = get to keep pogo. 

Also having an element means we can plug it in when we’re in a marina, and run it off the inverter when the sun shines enough. We also run a zeolite dehumidifier (6.5kg draws 280watts) for an hour at night after bedtime, and again for an hour upon waking. Warm dry boat. No manky corners. All boats should have one. 
Arrive at boat after 4 months away - warm dry non-mouldy boat and comfy feather duvet. Cheap luxury.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Removed the self amalgamated tape mast boot, all the old MS sealant and filled the partners with two-pot urethane to stop movement there. Was going to get spartite but after a bit of research got this product called PMC-790. Looks like golden syrup, sets up pretty quick and as far as  I can tell does the same job for 1/3rd the price.

26 minutes ago, K4309 said:

What is the fish attracting device out the back?

thats the skipper.😁

Oh, you mean teh fabric thing?  Yeah, washing 3 months of birdshit off the mainsail cover...

Yeah, the pole is a bit redundant.  Someone in her history had racing pretensions.  Not us!

The day started with a plan to clean up some really minor corrosion on my heat exchanger, corrosion that wasn't causing any problems whatsoever and that my mechanic friend told me to "monitor"

I found a suspect hx end cap - OK that's an easy fix... It has two o-rings in it. 

Might as well do both ends, 4 "gold-plated" o-rings from ovlov is all that's needed to fix that... Job will be over in a hour.

Needed to drain the coolant, it's a year early but not a big deal might as well do it now. Performed some yoga moves getting to the petcocks. Trying to put tubes on them and twist them at the same time... What an absolutely stupid design... One is hiding behind the dipstick the other is right above the electrics...  And you cannot twist them or even put a spanner on them with a tube attached! 

Decided I should remove the vp black box and get it out of the way. 

Had the foresight to wrap the alternator in a plastic bag which was just as well cause the bilge got cleaned with coolant...

2 hrs later and I have only managed to dump the coolant... Got 99% of it in the bucket, so marked that up as an achievement... 

Pulled the raw water pipe off the front of the heat exchanger completely expecting it to be empty...turns out it was full of water... Now I am really really happy I wrapped the alternator as salt water pours all over the plastic bag... 

To get the rest of the water out I needed to remove the impellor - that wasn't due for another 6 months - oh well, deal with that now... Oh sh*t forgot to close the main sea cock... 

3 hrs in, time for a clean up... and I still have not gotten the HX end cap off... 

Prise off the hx end caps, copper insert is in mint condition my barnacle buster protocol is working... 

Find the rear o-rings, which sits directly above the exhaust mixer is melted in place, it just will not budge.... Found some picks to get it out. Stabbed myself in my thumb, not once but twice. Cut myself on a hose clip... 

Bits of o-ring are out. Can't get to the bottom, need to remove the exhaust mixer... Four nuts, a gasket and an unamed yoga pose later the exhaust mixer is off... 

Still can't get the o-ring out. Just can't get to the back of the engine.. Can't get the appropriate angle on the pick... 

Well maybe if I remove the copper insert the o ring will fall off. The copper insert will not budge... No amount of pulling or twisting is working. A quick visit to ovlov and the very helpful team tell me they use a piece of wood and hit it with a hammer...  (ps that's not sarcasm... Ovlov are exceptionally good to deal with) 

There is no way I can swing a hammer in my engine bay... But I find a wooden carving board and make some half arse attempts at hitting it, all I achieve is denting a perfectly good carving board and I mange to hit my finger in the process... 

F it! Need to take off the heat exchanger/exhaust manifold now.  A quick look at the manual and it only has 10 nuts holding it on this should be easy... 

First I have to remove the expansion tank... Well I have been thinking about relocating that above the engine... Now can look at the bracket and find a spot for it... It comes away easily.. 

Hmm, two of those nuts are holding the alternator in place... Loosen the alternator but I don't remove it. 

The 10 nuts come away really easily... No issue at all.  Can I get it off without ripping the gasket... Nope of course not...

New volvo gasket, ex-australia for $190 or £7 from marine parts UK... No stock in NZ :(

Oh and it turns out that the petcocks for draining the coolant don't actually drain it... They are too high in the system... Ffs! Coolant everywhere... Turns out my 99% was closer to 85%

Now the heat exchanger is completely removed I can get the rest of the o ring out... Stab myself one last time but I get the last bits of o-ring out...

A little bit of crc and the copper insert moves freely without the use of a hammer. But there's a bit corrosion on the end of the copper insert so I can't get it out without going back to the hammer, need a scotch brite to fix that up - can't find one... 

Hmmm 6pm - time to go home... 

Boats! 

• Haha 6