This Weekend's Achievements

Got disqualified!!! And not from a sailing event!

Well, not quite, but got penalised out of contention at the NZ karate champs.

Sport karate is not full contact, but you need to be close enough that another 2cm would really hurt  The last thing my wife said right before our division was up was a joking "Knock 'em dead!" but unfortunately I almost did.

The new NZ No.3 is gonna have one hull of a sore face today. He came forward attacking, I blocked and counter attacked, and he came forward a little faster than I thought, and ran straight into a right hand. 

If it was boxing I would have won by TKO. As it was he was awarded a few extra points, and won.

So instead of taking two gold medals, I came away with a silver in Kata (that's the stylish patterns) and didn't make the podium in Kumite (fighting). 

Damn!

Paid off the boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome, well done!!!!

Ok, plenty of non boating stuff going on over the last couple of weekends but managed to squeeze a bit more alone time in to tick another couple of items off the list.

Bathurst weekend was internal strengthening time, I wasn't entirely happy with the lack of structure in the stbd side of the keel case so opted to build a kitset ring frame to tie it to the floors, stbd chainplate and bunk fronts. Using CAD (Cardboard Aided Design) I made templates up and then traced them onto 19mm ply. I laminated three bits of this together to make a 57mm thick frame which I then glued, coved, taped and glassed into place. Plenty more tape and double bias cloth went into the existing keel floors, keel case and bunk fronts as well. 200mm was as high as I could practically go whilst still allowing my smallest crew member to step over it... Not sure what difference it will make to performance but I feel more confident in it's strength now that's for sure.

I managed to sneak out and see the Solo IQ boys on the Sunday morning and have a bit of a  look at the internal structure on Cool Change too which made me feel better about the direction I was taking. I watched the first and last hours of Bathurst although my usually pedantic peel ply application suffered in my haste to clock off! 

20151010_111619_resized_1.jpg

20151010_112439_resized_1.jpg

20151008_193921_resized.jpg

20151010_173358_resized_1.jpg

20151012_214331_resized_1.jpg

20151012_214406_resized_1.jpg

This weekend just gone was also jam packed full of family type stuff and a couple of Thugby games so what should have been a half day job to get the rudder system sorted ended up spanning two days and an evening. 

I wanted to through bolt the gudgeons from the inside, glueing the stainless bolts in so they became studs on the outside of the hull enabling me to get the gudgeons off easily in the future if required. This wasn't going to be an issue on the upper one as the bolts would be reachable from inside the motor well. The lowers however were separated from prying eyes, fumbling fingers and wrong sized spanners by a glassed in 'shelf' that resides in the bottom of the well.

So I decided to cut a hole in there for an inspection port, seemed the tidiest way I could gain access for the installation and any future maintenance requirements.

She's a tight old fit for a fat fella, let alone one who's trying to wield a drill and jigsaw with any kind of accuracy but eventually I got a circle cut only to find that the 'void' was in fact chocka with expanding foam. Imagine my joy at having to jam my fat hand in there with a sharp chisel and pry bar, and spend the next hour "Foam Mining' towards the transom periodically using my cellphone as a scope to make sure I was heading the correct way!

I eventually found my holes and set about making hardwood packers to straighten the angles up and spread the loads.

Once that was done it was the rather straight forward task of centering the bolts up and gluing them in, which capped off the weekend. Last night it was time to seal the bolts then shorten them up, align the gudgeons and bolt them all on.

A little bit of grinding for clearance was required on the cassette but it fitted in pretty well.

I had to shorten the pintle up but have managed to mount it in such a way that no split pins or r clips are required to hold it in place, the base of the tiller acting as a stopper for the head of the pintle, and the top of the rudder cassette taking some of the side loading as well as the two gudgeons. 

Starting to look like a yacht now.

20151017_102607_resized.jpg

20151018_124232_resized.jpg

20151018_122841_resized.jpg

20151018_154305_resized.jpg

20151019_214250_resized.jpg

20151019_214347_resized.jpg

• Upvote 1

at last.jpgAt long last managed to get out and go for first sail in her since she left NZ and being finished what became extended overhaul

No longer is she "trainsmash"  ..... new name, new water to play in and i am happy camper and then had to go back to workearly  and my "other boat"

• Upvote 2

Really nice Willow, great job . I like the little curved duckboar extension.

I've lost track though , what design is she, I was thinking Lidgard looking at the transom on the hardstand photo ? But then I see the flair above the waterline in the on water shot and I start thinking Davidson........

The other job we did before going sailing was fit the radar up the mast. Brackets on on fri afternoon and the unit and wiring on sat morning.

It went !. The boat did not blow up. Our brains did not get fried.

However I can reliably tell you that a lopper style two handed pop riveter is not the correct tool for this particular job. Not when you want one hand to carve out fingernail marks in the mast paint, and the other to do the popping.

Got rescued! Twice!

Well not quite, but when the weather went a bit rough late monday, I flagged down a passing launch to take the family from the mooring to the shore. Then got in the dinghy, with our gear, and set off. Within seconds the shear pin went in the outboard. Old age probably as didn't touch anything. Started to row into a decent headwind and promptly tore the rowlock or whatever its called on an inflatable, clean off. Sculled back to the boat, flagged down another launch, and got a ride.

Big thanks the the crews of Tuscany, and Scenario.

And to those who totally ignored the vhf calls and flag waving, where's the middle finger emote?